Ron Paul-does he have a chance?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pma, Jan 5, 2008.

1. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Actually he said a LOT more in the debate last night than Romney, McCain, Huckabee, etc. Romney doesn't know what position he's to take on a given night; doesn't know if it's a "flip" night or a "flop" night.

And I'd bet my last $$ that Paul has an IQ well above any of the others he shared the stage with and his delivery and substance showed it.

#21     Jan 6, 2008
  2. last night for Romney was definitely a Flop night.

#22     Jan 6, 2008
  3. #23     Jan 6, 2008
  4. thanks for elaborating. ironically, fwiw and i'm not sure how much that is, he's the most highly educated candidate in the field as far as i know.

i recognize your views. right after the russert interview at christmas dinner i got into a friendly debate with a family friend over the exact same point you raise. was that a talking point somewhere else? paul didn't have the precise number of troops at hand. personally i doubt most of congress or the field would have been able to answer that either at the time. the number is constantly changing, is it not? i forget his answer, but in the same breath he did eventually put out an estimate that sounded reasonable.

to me, concluding that he has put 'zero thought' into his long standing policy stance for that particular reason is like saying 1 + 2 = 99....

a lot of people feel the world depends on our projection of full force, and would stand for that even in the face of overextension. talking to people locally, i hear this one all the time. again, you're making a broad conclusion here... that north korea would nuke the south if we pulled troops out and that no honest intellectual can see it otherwise.

if you and i were north koreans or iranians, and a superpower was starting preemptive wars and accumulating major forces on our border, how would our conversation differ? what would your view be towards self defense? can you honestly, intellectually tell me that you would relinquish your right to a deterrent force, self defense and lay down in response?

if you can say that, that you would lay down and take it... that would be consistent with your standard for intellectual honesty in the context of your views

#24     Jan 6, 2008
  5. My thinking is 4 years of him vetoing the spending bills would be great. The only legislation that would pass would be the bills that both sides could agree enough on to over ride the veto, hence less bad crap and more good crap(hopefully) gets passed. Also the cowardly congress would have to be able to vote for us going to war for us to actually go to war, that be a nice change and it would cut down on the police actions we're involved in now. As for you knowing that North Korea will nuke South Korea if we're not there, you'll have to tell me how you know this. Also he couldn't get ride of the IRS just because he wants to, at best he could start slimming down the government. Don't worry, if by some long shot he did get elected there will still be plenty of big government and programs left when he leaves to keep everyone happy. Grid lock might be a good thing.

#25     Jan 6, 2008
  6. #26     Jan 7, 2008
  7. What befuddles me is the inconsistency/massive disconnect between support for Ron Paul on the Internet and his opiniion poll standings/primary-caucus results.

Why this big disconnect? Even if one thinks that his Internet support is a fluke or manipulated by over zealous supporters, how do you explain his ability to raise $20M in Q4 2007 and break multiple fund-raising records. $20M is a gigantic number.

Can someone please explain these inconsistencies to me?

How can he transform hsi massive (and enthusiastic) support base to actual state primary wins and the Republican nomination?

#27     Jan 7, 2008
  8. the news media does everything in their power to suppress Ron Paul and his supporters... they control the polls and the elections. watch the videos on this thread for just a small sample of Fox's criminal effort to fix the election:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113570&perpage=6&pagenumber=1

#28     Jan 7, 2008
  9. The disconnect is the fact that the majority of primary voters are typically not from the MySpace arena. Unfortunately for Paul, a huge group of his supporters are the type who like to scream about government wrongdoing all day long, but when it comes down to it they don't get out and vote. The primaries aren't rigged and the media shouldn't be expected to give attention to someone only getting 5-10%.

Huckabee wasn't getting media attention until he put in the work to make himself legitimate in Iowa. RP vacillates in the 5-10% range consistently. Their is no news in that.

#29     Jan 7, 2008
  10. da-net

da-net

Thank you! for the videos that discusses the CFR. I was not aware of them or what they do, but for many years I have observed and felt that there really is NO DIFFERENCE between Republicans & Democrats...It does not matter which group is "in power" it is just more of the same old BS! Big government, lies, half truths, crooks, etc

I consider myself an independent when it comes to politics...I always vote for the "Lesser of Evils"...this statement has created many a heated debate with family & friends. Now I understand that what I felt was real...there really is NO DIFFERENCE!

What we (the people) need is a clear way to stop the merry go round and restore our country, it's honor and it's founding father roots. Perhaps a populous vote to remove wrong doers immediately from office or job & prosecute...limit time available to serve like the executive branch! Start @ the local level and work upwards!

Thank You! Again.

#30     Jan 7, 2008