Ron Paul CSPAN Appearance

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ratboy88, Mar 12, 2007.

After watching the video I support:

1. Ron Paul

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Barack Obama

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Hillary Clinton

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Rudy Giuliani

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. John Edwards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Mitt Romney

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. John McCain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Al Sharpton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. If you can quote Paul saying the his very first act as president would be to reduce the power of the executive office and the executive branch of government, I would be happy to read it.

#21     Mar 13, 2007
  2. So was independence from British rule.

#22     Mar 13, 2007
  3. Perhaps, but independence from King George through a war would be much easier than what would need to take place in America now to really have a libertarian dominance, IMO. In fact, my guess is that it would initiate a type of revolution that could lead to some strong fascist type that would restore "law and order."

I just don't see libertarianism as an effective solution for the 50 states of America on a federal level right now.

#23     Mar 13, 2007
  4. All you really need to know.

*Ron Paul has been against the Iraq War from the beginning. And he voted against it.
    *Ron Paul is against the federal reserve
    *Ron Paul does not take money from AIPAC
    *Ron Paul will not go to war for Israel
    *Ron Paul is pro constitution he was against unconstitutional acts like the patriot act and the military commissions act.

Ron Paul's 1988 book, Liberty Under Siege, is being uploaded on www.dailypaul.com the first two chapters are up, it is great, and it is sad how completely relevent it is, and how little anything has changed since then.

I'm really liking it, I am part way through the second chapter.

I've read a few political science treastises, and, though I don't agree with all in it, I definately find this to be an interesting libertarian treatise.

The book takes a systematic approach to the flaws in foreign and domestic policy, and in 1988 explains the mistakes that are still being made.

I'm not sure when in 1988 this came out, but I am sure it must have been his pre-presidential campaign book...

maybe they should just republish it for his 2008 campaign book just to show 20 years later we are still making the same ridiculous unconstitutional mistakes, and that they are now trying to do various specific things he was warning about in 1988.

#24     Mar 13, 2007
  5. That is all that someone needs to know?

LOL!

#25     Mar 13, 2007
  6. http://www.house.gov/paul/press/press2001/pr030601.htm

FOR RELEASE: March 6, 2001

Paul Introduces Bills to Curb Executive Orders, Protect Individuals, Restore Checks and Balances

Washington, D.C. - On Tuesday, Representative Ron Paul introduced his "Constitutional Restoration Package", a series of bills aimed at reaffirming the system of checks among the three branches of government that have fallen drastically out of balance in recent years. The four bills re-establish the clear guidelines set forth in the Constitution with regard to the powers of the President and the duties of Congress.

Said Paul, "Our system of government is out of balance to the most casual of observers. We have the opportunity to more perfectly balance our system and prevent potential abuses. By clearly defining the lines of power, while restricting the ability of a single person to arbitrarily impose law, we will further secure the blessings of liberty upon our nation."

The centerpiece of Paul's package is the "Separation of Powers Restoration Act." This bill garnered more than 40 cosponsors in the previous congress and prohibits a presidential order from illegitimately taking power from the legislative branch and having the effect of law. Most importantly, the legislation grants legal standing to individual Members of Congress and Senators, state officials and private citizens who believe a president's Executive Order has overstepped constitutional bounds and negatively impacted them, their rights, their property or their business.

"The most glaring example of our out-of-balance system is the power of the president to create laws through the use of the Executive Order," said Paul. "Our system grants all legislative power to the legislative branch, while the Chief Executive exists to 'faithfully execute' those laws. The power of the Executive Order can commit our troops to undeclared wars, destroy industries, or make unprecedented social-policy changes. The 'Separation of Powers Restoration Act' will restore the balance between the branches of government that is so desperately needed."

Also included in the package is the "Constitutional War Powers Resolution", a bill which repeals the War Powers Resolution and restores the power to send American troops into conflicts to Congress.

The "Constitutional Republic Resolution" clarifies the nature of our federal system as a constitutionally limited republic, rather than a democracy. It also serves as a response to recent calls for the elimination of the electoral college which was created to protect smaller states against overreaching federal power. Eliminating it would nullify their voting power. Democracy represents unlimited rule by the majority, while a constitutionally limited republic preserves the liberty of the individual.

Finally, the "Constitutional Treaty Resolution" declares that no treaty which contradicts the Constitution will have any force or effect. This prohibits any foreign power or organization from controlling or commanding U.S. citizens, such as the United Nations has done with U.S. military personnel in recent "peacekeeping" missions abroad.

Said Paul, "This series of bills is critical to restoring the proper constitutional balance to our federal system. Curbing the executive order, returning the power to declare war to Congress, and protecting the liberties of our private citizens, as well as our men and women in uniform, will demonstrate a commitment to the Constitution that has been missing in Washington for far too long."

#26     Mar 13, 2007
  7. "FOR RELEASE: March 6, 2001"

Can you quote him that his first act as presidency will be to diminish the power of the presidency?

#27     Mar 13, 2007
  8. ZZZzzzzz,

do a search on "ron paul" and "executive orders," there is just too much information to post. this man is all about the constitution and getting this govt back under control.

ZZZzzz.... looks like he beat you to the punch. considering this is so important to you, i am surprised you didnt already know about this man's previous attempts to curb the executive branch's illegal power grabs.

#28     Mar 13, 2007
  9. he's already introduced legislation and you are nitpicking.

#29     Mar 13, 2007
  10. Look, the dems has their first 90 day plan if they took control of Congress, right?

I want to hear Paul's specific plan as to what he would do as president.

Not blathering crap, but specific actions he would take, starting with reduction of his own power as presidency, which cabinet posts he would not fill, which departments he would eliminate and/or streamline, which judges he would appoint, etc. and how he would personally reduce the size, scope,a nd power of the executive branch, etc.

See, as president, if he is really going to go back to a balanced government he has to begin with the executive office, there is little he can do but try to effect the executive branch, and veto bills from congress, and commander and chief.

So I want him to be specific on what he would do, can legally do, would be willing to lose his job over trying to do, not what congress needs to do...

If he wants to be a congressmen, fine. If he wants to be president, he needs to say what as president he would do, could do, legally do, constitutionally do, and the sacrifices he will be making along the way...

Or if not, he is just another talking head appealing to a fringe group of voters...

#30     Mar 13, 2007