ron paul believes sexual harassment should not be a crime.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Jan 1, 2012.

1. ron paul believes sexual harassment should not be a crime. he believes it should be a private matter between employer and employee. after all the employee can quit if she doesnt want to be forced into sex to save her job.

“Employee rights are said to be valid when employers pressure employees into sexual activity. Why don’t they quit once the so-called harassment starts? Obviously the morals of the harasser cannot be defended, but how can the harassee escape some responsibility for the problem? Seeking protection under civil rights legislation is hardly acceptable.” -Ron Paul, from his 1987 book, Freedom Under Siege.
    http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...ace-harassment-protections.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

go ron paul. i hope you win the republican nomination. i would like the woman voters of america to have a clear choice between someone who believes they should just quit their job if faced with sexual harassment or someone who will keep current workplace protections.

2. achilles28

achilles28

Again, the federal government is not authorized by the constitution to regulate labor relations, much less criminalize free speech, however questionable.

Thats the job of the states, and well within their purview, granted under the 10th amendment.

Youre not too swift, i gather?

3. would you like your wife or daughter to have to go back to a time where they were forced into a situation where they lose everything or sleep with some guy to keep a job?
    part of being swift is having the ability to think. is that too hard for you?

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

+ 1

We don't have to "go back to a time" moron. No one is even suggesting it so far as I know. He's simply saying it's NOT the federal governments job to regulate it. And he's correct. That does not mean Paul believes sexual harassment should not be a crime. Just not a federal crime, you disingenuous shit for brains buffoon.

5. “Employee rights are said to be valid when employers pressure employees into sexual activity. Why don’t they quit once the so-called harassment starts? Obviously the morals of the harasser cannot be defended, but how can the harassee escape some responsibility for the problem? Seeking protection under civil rights legislation is hardly acceptable.” -Ron Paul, from his 1987 book, Freedom Under Siege.

("but how can the harassee escape some responsibility for the problem?")

Lucrum, Ron Paul is saying to quit her job is how to take responsibility? But she is really liking her job, is doing good work, always go to work and not missing days work. Then this man from the company always asking her to go out to the club, or to dinner, but she say no thank you. Then he will not stop asking, and follow her, or try to kiss her. You think she is responsible because he is keep asking her? Ok Lucrum, if your wife have a good job for example, and this man always asking her to go out, or trying to kiss her, but she always say no and try to ignore him. If she come home to you and tell you what happens, you will tell her to quit?

6. Ricter

Ricter

A good employee quitting a job to get away from harrassment is bad for the business and hence bad for capitalism (particularly if it's a public company).

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

No, I'm going to go have a little "talk" with the SOB.
    He won't ask her again.

8. Mercor

Mercor

Ron Paul would argue that it is not productive for a company to allow this type of behavior. Of course, once physical contact is made it can become a criminal or civil issue.

I doubt a worker would go up to a woman and just start groping her. So there is an escalation to this problem.

If the woman can't get the company to act on her behalf then there is civil action or criminal action a woman can take. Or she can quit.

Paul would say there is no need for the Federal Govt to be involved.

9. I would tell her to file a police report for the assault. Let the asshole to explain to cops and his wife he just wanted to kiss her.

10. Sexual Harassment is not a crime. It's a civil issue which what he was saying.

#10     Jan 1, 2012