Ron P, Rick S, and Mitt R pick up 6 delegates each in Iowa

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DemZad, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Ah, sorry Ricter. I didn't see this last post. So, if I recall back during this conversation, you started the discussion by claiming that everyone was buying a car.

The above was your comment. I then replied this was due to channel stuffing (the process where manufacturers continue to stuff their dealers with inventory in the hopes that sales will improve). Of course, channel stuffing counts as a "sale" to the manufacturer, but not the dealer. And that's what is being reported when we have the monthly auto sales statistics.

I then showed you a chart and some commentary that proves beyond the shadow of a doubt my claim about channel stuffing. Your answer to that was to give me two links, one for AutoNation and one for Group 1, to indicate that the car market is thriving.

Are we in agreement thus far?

So I read the articles you posted, genuinely interested in seeing if they refute the channel stuffing side of the argument. And, as usual, I find that you did not pay attention in reading the article at all. So anxious as you were to point out how my numbers could be flawed, you rushed here with how two major auto sellers in the US had beaten prior year sales and profit numbers, that you did not bother to read how they did it. So I'll quote you the relevant lines in the articles for your convenience:

From AutoNation:

Odd, I thought they were selling more cars! So they're not, this is just a result of inflationary pressures (another negative), not more unit sales. Unit sales are down against prior year! Hmmm...let's look at the next article.

From Group 1 (once again, your post):

Oops...no such luck. Vehicle units sales down here, too. This is once again a result of higher sales revenues (which, with units down means higher prices).

So sorry. Your attempt to prove higher car sales really proves nothing other than higher car prices, which is certainly not indicative of more people purchasing cars, and definitely nothing refuting the channel stuffing argument.

I'll check back to see if you offer any other insight.

#61     Jan 17, 2012