Romney would veto immigration "dream" act

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FortuneTeller, Jan 1, 2012.

1. LEMARS, Iowa (Reuters) - Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney said on Saturday he would veto a proposal granting U.S. citizenship to undocumented immigrants who were brought to the country as children, a pledge that won hearty applause from Iowa conservatives he hopes to win over.

A young woman asked Romney about the bipartisan proposal known as the Dream Act, during an appearance at a crowded restaurant in Le Mars, a conservative Republican stronghold in western Iowa.

"The question is if I were elected and Congress were to pass the Dream Act, would I veto it and the answer is yes," Romney said.

"For those that come here illegally, the idea of giving them in-state tuition credits or other special benefits, I find to be contrary to the idea of a nation of laws," Romney said.

"If I'm the president of the United States I want to end illegal immigration so that we can protect legal immigration. I like legal immigration."

Under the Dream Act, which was brought up in the Senate in May, young undocumented immigrants who have lived most of their lives in the United States and graduate from U.S. high schools would be eligible for a conditional six-year "path to citizenship" if they earn a college degree or serve two years in the military.

Romney also said he would secure the U.S.-Mexico border with a fence and enough Border Patrol agents to guard it.

The remarks drew vigorous applause in Le Mars and at a later appearance in Sioux City. Romney said he would eliminate the "magnet" that draws illegal immigrants by cracking down on employers who hire them.

"We need to give those employers the tools they need to determine who's legal and illegal," he said. "But if they have those tools and don't use them, we're going to go after them just like we go after employers who don't pay their taxes," Romney said.

He said he would continue a provision that grants a fast track to citizenship for foreigners who serve in the military.

Romney has led in the opinion polls ahead of Tuesday's Iowa caucus, which kicks off the state-by-state contests to choose the Republican presidential candidate who will challenge President Barack Obama, a Democrat, in the November 2012 general election.

But he has not sealed the deal with some Iowa Republicans who doubt his conservative credentials because of his history as governor of left-leaning Massachusetts.

"We need a staunch conservative to the max and I just don't see it in anybody other than (Rick) Santorum," said Pat Renken, a Le Mars resident who manages a grain elevator. He turned out at a Romney rally despite planning to vote for Santorum, a conservative former senator from Pennsylvania.

"There's nothing that turns me off about him (Romney)," Renken said. "I just like Senator Santorum more."

http://news.yahoo.com/republican-candidate-romney-veto-immigration-dream-act-023856783.html

I like this part the best:

"Romney also said he would secure the U.S.-Mexico border with a fence and enough Border Patrol agents to guard it.

The remarks drew vigorous applause in Le Mars and at a later appearance in Sioux City. Romney said he would eliminate the "magnet" that draws illegal immigrants by cracking down on employers who hire them.

"We need to give those employers the tools they need to determine who's legal and illegal," he said. "But if they have those tools and don't use them, we're going to go after them just like we go after employers who don't pay their taxes," Romney said.

2. rew

rew

Well, that's Romney's position this week.

The problem is that Romney has changed his views on nearly every issue. So who knows what his view on the Dream Act will be once he's President?

3. +1

You cant believe anything his guy says or what he truly believes in

4. Just like Hopey. Mittens is Obama 2008 redux.

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Exactly

6. A CEO's Demand: Fix Immigration
    After Chipotle Is Stung by Crackdown, Its Chief Urges Overhaul

Over the past year, Chipotle became the highest-profile target of an Obama administration campaign against employers of illegal workers.

Chipotle also says managers in some markets are interviewing 30 to 40 candidates to fill one opening, compared with 10 previously. At a recent job fair in Washington state, Chipotle hired just eight of the 100 people it interviewed.

(What a friggin drag on company resources)

The investigation has cost Chipotle both time and money. It has spent more than $1 million in legal fees related to the immigration audit, and it may face a fine and criminal charges.

Chipotle isn't the only company to get tripped up by the recent immigration crackdown. Since January 2009, ICE has audited more than 5,900 employers, mostly in the construction, hospitality, manufacturing and farming sectors. Companies, including janitorial giant ABM Industries Inc. and clothing maker American Apparel Inc., have paid a total of nearly $76 million in fines and had to dismiss thousands of workers.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204058404577105712886931338.html
    -----------------

Paying millions of dillars in fines and legal fees and cos still can't find employee's, the problem still isn't fixed. Although this is the sop "American way" (fines ands legal fees) one sure can't knock the American spirti of "keep trying". One day we might wake up to a country with an attittude of "Why Bother?".

7. pspr

pspr

Some of you would rather he said he would give amnesty to illegals and do nothing about the border problem?

8. Max E.

Max E.

No, most of us would simply prefer that a politician was telling the truth when he made a statement like that.

Fact of the matter is that everyone knows this will be swept under the rug if Romney gets elected just like it has been with every other president.

9. pspr

pspr

I had no idea you had such powerful prognostication abilities. Can you post the the hourly S&P price for Tue through Friday sometime today?

10. Max E.

Max E.

Just let me know whether or not you are long/short, and the market will most likely do the opposite 5 minutes later. :D

No one knows the future, but if i was to bet whether or not a politician is bullshitting me, id bet my life on bullshit, odds are heavily skewed in my favour based on the past, and even more so when it comes to the likes of Romney/Obama.

You really think that Romney is going to bring about a new era of honesty in washington, fucking guy probably couldnt even tell you who tied his shoes up in the morning with a straight face??? :D

#10     Jan 1, 2012