Romney throws in the towel - breaking news (EOM)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TGregg, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Well if you have been a national or senate race $ man, this is what the local callers will tell you if they're being truthful - (1) we aren't getting a whole lot of money this time and (2) we (as a party) aren't being listened to so much (my summary).

Yet Romney had plenty of money and launched a TORRENT of mail to the faithful lists and McCain didn't have a dime, so to speak.

Next, I could find no one where I am with any respect for Romney and no one without respect for McCain - a far different situation than what I see in ET. These same people were very likely however, not to agree on some issues with McCain but they didn't care about any of that with Romney - they just plain hated him. He was DOA.

So, what's going on here?

#21     Feb 7, 2008
  2. Simple. ET is not representative of America. It's on the political fringe.

America wants a Democrat in the Whitehouse so badly, that they are nominating two Democrats - one from each party, for the general election.

#22     Feb 7, 2008
  3. again - is it America wanting a Dem, or the media?

#23     Feb 7, 2008
  4. Last I checked, it was America that voted in the primaries, not the media. And McCain didn't get more positive media coverage than any of the other candidates - he was declared "dead man walking" by the media last fall.

BTW, the media was super friendly to grandpa Fred but that didn't seem to help him - voters tossed him out pretty quickly.

#24     Feb 7, 2008
  5. your point is obvious and undeniable of course. yet, i wonder what part the media has played thus far. i suppose there is no object way to determine the influence. and maybe the voters are much to independent to be swayed. i'm skeptical tho..and btw, how much coverage did huck get during all the posturing? are his positions well defined? he's painted as McCain's blocker lol.

#25     Feb 7, 2008
  6. Those curious things I reported above on McCain and Romney were true in middle Reps, Independents, and middle Dems around me.* Also with these same people the other thing had to do with "intolerance" I'll call it. McCain and Obama sure seem to be tolerated. On the other hand, Hillary and Romney get ZERO tolerance.

Romney won my tiny state fwiw - then folds 2 days later. Looked like it was the jesus people that carried it for him.

*In this crowd are the former Republican voters - but you knew that. :p

#26     Feb 7, 2008
  7. I don't know that it is one single issue with Romney, but more of a combination of issues.

Certainly religious intollerance is one. The fact that he was forced to take middle ground in order to become Gov. of MA, is another. The fact that he absolutely can't relate to the average American citizen is another.

Mitt underperformed for the same reason Obama and Huck are overperforming. America feels like they are completely removed from the government right now. Populist messages are cutting straight to the heart right now. Mitt doesn't represent a populist message.

As far as the media is concerned. They don't need to support a candidate, they mainly just support certain messages. The candidates who seemingly represent that message get free media attention for it. I have gone over a ton of different media though, and Huck, Mac, and Rudy did get far more free publicity than Mitt. Almost every time Mitt got free publicity from the mainstream media it was drawing attention away from his strong-points or discounting his popularity.

Fair is fair though. If a candidate doesn't work the system well enough to get nominated then they don't deserve the chance. I don't think there is any doubt that Mitt will run again in 4 years if a DEM wins in Nov. He will have learned a couple things by then and he already has name recognition now.

#27     Feb 8, 2008
  8. Comments?

http://johnellis.blogspot.com/2008_02_03_archive.html#8683087514721749508

Not sure I agree about what he says on religion.

Say you have people inclined to believe that Scientology, Mormonism and Christian Science are all the same thing and/or bad religions.

And you have Cruise, Romney, and Paulson and only the first two appear to be at a loss somehow in the public eye for their religion.

What separates them?

Paulson kept his mouth shut about his.

#28     Feb 8, 2008
  9. moo

moo

Why did all the others hate Romney?

Personally, I think they are all fake, except (perhaps) for Ron Paul.

#29     Feb 8, 2008
  10. Various reasons I'm sure. Some don't like his religion. Many don't like him for the fact that he doesn't form political alliances as readily.

He obviously doesn't have the support of the republican establishment because he continually screams that it is not the president but "Washington" that is broken. He realizes something that few will admit. Our president doesn't have that much power if "Washington" doesn't align behind him.

The other candidates specifically didn't like two things about him.

1) He criticized them on his own weak spots. That is politics 101. If you are a little weak on a certain point, but your opponent is weaker, then go after that point before they mention your own weakness.

2) The other main point is his money. Not that he has the money but how he uses it. He loved contrast adds. He took his opponents' actual positions and contrasted them to his own better looking positions, of course without mentioning anything even slightly negative about himself. His opponents called them attack adds, but in reality they were simple contrast adds. The problem for his opponents was that for every single add they ran about him, he could run five more about them. Not exactly a fair playing field. So they ganged up on him.

#30     Feb 11, 2008