Romney Picks Paul Ryan of Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Obama's folks, not to mention the PACs, are working on an equivalent to the infamous daisy ad from '64 right now. Talk about a target-rich environment!

#31     Aug 11, 2012
  2. Ricter

Ricter

Personally I don't think this makes the election a slam dunk for Obama. I see what I think is a strong line of attack for reps now, which could work on the emotional "don't like numbers" mentality of the general pop.

#32     Aug 11, 2012
  3. wjk

wjk

No, but high fives and extreme joy are probably the order of the day for the left wing super PACs.

#33     Aug 11, 2012
  4. Mercor

Mercor

Spending is in the same mode. Borrow more then half of what you spend. Borrow it against future tax payers payments.

#34     Aug 11, 2012
  5. Mercor

Mercor

SS and Medicare will cease to exist as we know it if nothing is done.

Ryan has a plan to save it

#35     Aug 11, 2012
  6. Ricter

Ricter

SS will be fine so long as the boomers are not immortal.

Healthcare needs cost control. At this point I expect the AMA's help on that--we need supply to expand, at least until we bury the boomers.

Edit: Ryan's plan may "save" them, but not for the many. He timidly accepts our emerging banana-republic-style stratification as a given and proceeds from there.

#36     Aug 11, 2012
  7. wjk

wjk

Gleeful times for dems...or not.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/313732/smart-democrats-should-be-worried-john-fund

"No doubt there are many Democrats rubbing their hands in glee in contemplation of reviving some version of the ad that featured an actor playing Paul Ryan pushing a grandmother in a wheelchair off a cliff. But the smarter ones are worried.

First, if Ryan is an extremist and his proposals are so unpopular, how has he won election seven times in a Democratic district? His lowest share of the vote was 57 percent — in his first race. He routinely wins over two-thirds of the vote...

...Democrats will no doubt try to make Paul Ryan into a younger version of the devil they’ve tried to paint Mitt Romney as. But they should worry about fighting a campaign on fundamental issues in a weak economy. That’s precisely how Jimmy Carter, the last Democratic president to run for reelection during hard times, wound up losing so badly that it not only cost Democrats control of the U.S. Senate but damaging the liberal brand for years afterwards."

Maybe it's not game over just yet.

#37     Aug 11, 2012
  8. Mercor

Mercor

Two reasons Ryan was picked

Ryan is the kind of person that Romney has hired throughout his career—a high IQ, creative, supremely articulate wonk who is young and looks even younger.

Yet in 2008, while Obama was pulling 66 percent of the vote in the City of Kenosha, 67 percent in Janesville, and 70 percent in Racine, Ryan received a solid 52 percent, 59 percent, and 45 percent in those same cities, respectively. Ryan is rarely seriously tested in the district, normally garnering only token Democratic opposition.
    Ryan can pull in middle votes

#38     Aug 11, 2012
  9. Ricter

Ricter

Maybe not. But to answer the question about how he can win election seven times in a dem district, the standard answer which suffices for most politicians is simply that he does not actually do what he says he'll do. : )

#39     Aug 11, 2012
  10. Brass

Brass

Good post.

I can't wait to see Paul ("Not in This Lifetime") Ryan in a vice presidential debate. Oh, we'll have such fun! But then, Mitt ("I Picked Who?!") Romney promises to entertain as well.

#40     Aug 11, 2012