Romney over Obama?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Ricter

Ricter

The Devil can make money, probably makes a lot of it, if you get my meaning.

#11     Dec 13, 2010
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Sure absolutely Ricter. But let's be honest, making the comment that one is going to judge someone on their ability to think critically leaves room for subjective bias. Money removes the subjectivity. Now, sure one can always claim that the other made their money illegally. However in the case of Romney, his financial track record is very much documented especially with Bain Capital. So it's very hard to accuse Romney of not having the necessary critical thinking skills to be President when he arguably is one of the most successful candidates ever to run for President. In fact, I think he would be "the" most financially successful candidate behind maybe Ross Perot.

#12     Dec 13, 2010
  3. the evidence indicates that income is not a good indicator of critical thinking skills. look at all the movie stars ans sports people who are rich yet destroy their lives.
    do you think mormanism is a religion based on valid claims? do you believe the morman founder found gold plates buried in new york that proclaimed him head of a new religion?
    does it bother you that someone running for president believes that story?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Latter Day Saint belief, the golden plates (also called the gold plates or in some 19th century literature, the golden Bible)[1] are the source from which Joseph Smith, Jr. translated the Book of Mormon, a sacred text of the faith. Some witnesses described the plates as weighing from 30 to 60 pounds,[2] being golden or brassy in color, and being composed of thin metallic pages engraved on both sides and bound with one or more rings. It is a matter of speculation whether these were actual metal plates, perhaps manufactured by Smith himself,[3] or whether witnesses who claimed to have seen them based their testimony on what they had seen in visions. Smith told several stories about the origin and nature of the golden plates that are accepted by most Latter Day Saints as a matter of faith and sometimes also on the basis of apologetic scholarship that thus far has received no mainstream academic recognition.

Smith said he found the plates on September 22, 1823 at a hill near his home in Manchester, New York after an angel directed him to a buried stone box. The angel at first prevented Smith from taking the plates because he had not followed the angel's instructions. In 1827, on his fourth annual attempt to retrieve the plates, Smith returned home with a heavy object wrapped in a frock, which he then put in a box. Though he allowed others to heft the box, he said that the angel had forbidden him to show the plates to anyone until they had been translated from their original "reformed Egyptian" language. Smith dictated a translation using a seer stone in the bottom of a hat, which he placed over his face to view the words written within the stone.[4] Smith published the translation in 1830 as the Book of Mormon.

#13     Dec 13, 2010
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

All non sequitur. No, it doesn't bother me Vhehn. I could care less about a candidates personal life. That includes who they sleep with, what God they worship, if any and whether or not they use recreational drugs. I judge people on their "actions", especially how those actions relate to others. You could call me very "liberal" in that sense.

Yes, I'm aware that are plenty of athletes and movie stars who have made money that probably are not all there upstairs, but come on, comparing a guy whose venture capital firm made billions to some athlete really is not fair now is it?

#14     Dec 13, 2010
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Gawd dammit I hate it when I agree with you.

Well I guess we can stop listening to Soros and the Oracle of Omaha. (Personally I never paid much attention to them anyway.)

#15     Dec 13, 2010
  6. The only way Romney gets the nomination of the right of rightest wing kook jobs is for them to forgive him of his wearing of his Mormon UnderRoos.

Until then...they got squat.

Ralph Reed should start his own party already.

#16     Dec 13, 2010
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

Let's look deeper here at Romney's "Critical" thinking skills.

During the 14 years Romney headed the company, Bain Capital's average annual internal rate of return on realized investments was 113 percent.

Romney left Bain Capital in February 1999 to serve as the President and CEO of the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympic Games Organizing Committee. By that time, Bain Capital was on its way to being one of the top private equity firms in the nation, having increased its number of partners from 5 to 18, had 115 employees overall, and had $4 billion under its management. His experience at Bain & Company and Bain Capital gave Romney a world view that was business oriented – centering around a hate of waste and inefficiency, and a love for data and charts and analysis and presentation – that he would take with him to the public sector. As a result of his business career, by 2007 Romney and his wife had a net worth of between $190 and $250 million, most of it held in blind trusts.

On February 11, 1999, Romney was hired as the new president and CEO of the Salt Lake Organizing Committee.

Before Romney came on, the event was running $379 million short of its revenue benchmarks. Plans were being made to scale back the games to compensate for the fiscal crisis and there were fears the games might be moved away entirely. The Games had also been damaged by allegations of bribery involving top officials, including prior Salt Lake Olympic Committee president and CEO Frank Joklik. Joklik and committee vice president Dave Johnson were forced to resign.

Romney revamped the organization's leadership and policies, reduced budgets, and boosted fund raising. He soothed worried corporate sponsors and recruited many new ones.admitted past problems, listened to local critics, and rallied Utah's citizenry with a sense of optimism. Romney worked to ensure the safety of the Games following the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks by ignoring those who suggested the games be called off and coordinating a $300 million security budget. He became the public face of the Olympic effort, appearing in countless photographs and news stories and even on Olympics souvenir pins. Romney's omnipresence irked those who thought he was taking too much of the credit for the success, or had exaggerated the state of initial distress, or was primarily looking to improve his own image. Overall he oversaw a $1.32 billion budget, 700 employees, and 26,000 volunteers.

Despite the initial fiscal shortfall, the Games ended up clearing a profit of $100 million, not counting the $224.5 million in security costs contributed by outside sources. Romney broke the record for most private money raised by any individual for an Olympics games, summer or winter. His performance as Olympics head was rated positively by 87 percent of Utahns.

Romney and his wife contributed $1 million to the Olympics, and he donated to charity the $1.4 million in salary and severance payments he received for his three years as president and CEO. He wrote a book about his experience titled Turnaround: Crisis, Leadership, and the Olympic Games. Romney was widely praised for his successful efforts with the 2002 Winter Olympics and it solidified his reputation as a turnaround artist. The role gave him experience in dealing with federal, state, and local entities, a public persona he had previously lacked, and the chance to re-launch his political aspirations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Romney

#17     Dec 13, 2010
  8. All that and $100million from his own pocket and he still can't convince the Evangelical-Tent of his own party to give him the time of day.

#18     Dec 13, 2010
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

True. However all that and now a chance to kick Obama out of the White House and suddenly they might be interested. Everyone has a price.

#19     Dec 13, 2010
  10. to me its like going to a speech by albert einstein and the first thing he says is "i believe there are little green men on mars". it has to change how you precieve that person when he professes to believe something most everyone else knows is not true.
    still it may not be as bad as george bush was in that regard because at least mormans are not war mongers.

#20     Dec 13, 2010