Romney and the Market

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Hoofhearted, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Does anyone think the election results will effect the market?

Logic would say if Mitt wins the market rallies,

and if Obama wins it tanks.........

#11     Oct 22, 2012
  2. The GOP holds more seats in state legislatures and more governorships than at any time in nearly 100 years.

So, if you are trying to make them disappear, you need to work harder.

In point of fact, the ability to generate cheap energy coming from all of the new natural gas resources will invigorate the non-urban base of the GOP and the Left will become a urban-only party. Look a a county-by-county map of Presidential election returns and this is clear.

In a war of political attrition between food-producing and food-consuming regions, i.e. non-urban GOP-dominated lands and urban Democrat-dominated lands, I know with whom I will side.

Got food?

#12     Oct 22, 2012

3. Since the market is going to pull back hard, I can only guess Romney will lose? So how do I make money from making a shorting romney trade

#13     Oct 22, 2012
  4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Except that if Mitt wins, the future is over for Bernanke. An upset to the stupid era of free money for everyone might somewhat dampen the heroin addict.

#14     Oct 22, 2012
  5. Humpy

Humpy

short the S&P 500.

Neither really wants to talk about cost cutting, so they are both going to push the national debt from it's $16 trillion to about $30 trillion. I suppose their strategies are to renege on the debt when it is unrepayable. Even if dumped on the next few generations.

Incompetents - should be in jail not the White house !!

#15     Oct 22, 2012
  6. We had a better system. The Republic was lost a century ago.
    ------------------------
    “Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”

“A Republic, if you can keep it.”

ATTRIBUTION: The response is attributed to BENJAMIN FRANKLIN—at the close of the Constitutional Convention of 1787, when queried as he left Independence Hall on the final day of deliberation—in the notes of Dr. James McHenry, one of Maryland’s delegates to the Convention.

http://www.bartleby.com/73/1593.html

#16     Oct 22, 2012
  7. piezoe

piezoe

Your absolutely correct here Tsing Tao. The market has done about as well under Obama in percentage increase than just about any other President in the nations history. (Of course, starting at the bottom that's not as hard to do as starting at the top of a bubble would be!) Obama is likely to keep Bernanke at the Fed and follow the same Keynesian like course in bringing the nation out of recession. Romney will have no choice but to do the same thing in the short run, or we reverse course into recession. Nevertheless, a Romney victory won't be good for the market in either the short run OR the long run, assuming he and the Republicans can get enough control to go back to failed, deregulated supply side economics. That would be disastrous. That's what got us into this mess.

There is zero chance of Romney making good on his promises to make large fiscal cuts and increase the military budget, start another war, keep the Afghanistan war going, and cut taxes. Both candidates have over promised, but Romney is simply lying. He hasn't said what tax loopholes he'll close, and for a reason. He'd have zero chance of being elected if he spoke his true mind. He has the ability to look you right in the eye and tell a bold face lie. Of all the presidential candidates in my lifetime, none has adjusted their position so often and adapted their rhetoric to what the polls tell him people want to hear than Mitt Romney. This guy wants desperately to be in charge. To be elected.

#17     Oct 22, 2012
  8. Humpy

Humpy

How about a system where at birth everyone gets a vote
    For passing out of primary school +1 vote
    For passing out of secondary school +1 vote
    For a higher ed. degree +1 vote
    For being in work +1 vote
    For owning a property +1 vote
    For being a millionaire +1 vote

On the minus side
    For committing a minor crime -1 vote
    For committing a major crime -2 votes

etc

This is to encourage positive endeavour and punish the negative losers.
    Overall negative scorers get sent to rehab camps in Alaska

:cool:

#18     Oct 22, 2012
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I had to re-read this a few times before I figured out it was Romney you were talking about, and not Obama.

#19     Oct 22, 2012
  10. ssrrkk

ssrrkk

what if you inherited your million? do you still get +1?

#20     Oct 22, 2012