Romney and representation without taxation

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nursebee, Sep 18, 2012.

1. I don't see it as inconsistent with the Declaration. Of course, you probably understand it better than the guys who wrote it and adopted it.

#41     Sep 18, 2012
  2. pspr

pspr

That would solve a lot of the countries ills and take us back to sensible government. However, the entrenched entitlement crowd is too large now to ever let something this fair be enacted.

#42     Sep 18, 2012
  3. achilles28

achilles28

This is pretty easy, imo. A tax return that denotes private taxable income (not government income), basically entitles the bearer to vote. Retirees who live solely off a Government pension (and therefore, pay only taxes on a Government pension), do not get to vote. Disabled veterans get to vote regardless of source income (they paid their dues in blood).

I hear ya about the quote. Still a good one.

#43     Sep 18, 2012
  4. achilles28

achilles28

x1000000++++

That's the real solution. It will never see the light of day.

#44     Sep 18, 2012
  5. Yeah, this makes sense... And yes, I also think that more consumption tax, less income tax in the US makes a lot of sense.

#45     Sep 19, 2012
  6. achilles28

achilles28

If a person follows the money, from one transaction to the next, the Government takes nearly the entire dollar spent after the 4th or 5th changing of hands. In my mind, that has a huge deadweight effect on velocity or the multiplier. A consumption tax rewards savings and has a much smaller footprint on the national income. Anyway. How's trading going?

#46     Sep 19, 2012
  7. Yeah, agreed. In general, like I mentioned in an older thread, for a mature economy like the US, it would make a lot of sense to create more of an incentive to invest, rather than consume.

As to trading, it's been a quiet summer, but September has been rather hectic, as you'd expect.

#47     Sep 19, 2012