Romney and representation without taxation

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nursebee, Sep 18, 2012.

1. nursebee

nursebee

All of these points were raised in my house prior to eating breakfast. What I'd like is help in fleshing out the debate in favor of no representation without taxation

#11     Sep 18, 2012
  2. This is a strategy that is employed by all American politicians, regardless of the party they belong to. There's ample evidence for this.

#12     Sep 18, 2012
  3. BSAM

BSAM

Scrap the income tax; implement consumption tax.
    All is fair.
    Economy explodes upwards.

#13     Sep 18, 2012
  4. Again, I can agree with that in principle (and I like the certain antique, back-to-basics ring to it). However, there's still all sorts of questions. Like, for example, do you make this binary? Specifically, will I be able to vote if I buy a 1 sq ft patch in the desert for a few bucks and will my vote count as much as, I dunno, Donlad Trump's? And, still, what do you do about people who are not paying taxes through obviously no fault of theirs?

#14     Sep 18, 2012
  5. The simplest and the clearest point is that representation without taxation leads to suboptimal economic decision-making in the allocation of common resources.

#15     Sep 18, 2012
  6. BSAM

BSAM

Why is it okay for the rich to exploit the tax (scam) code, but when the poor do the same thing, it is wrong?

#16     Sep 18, 2012
  7. Eight

Eight

That is why Democrats go on the campaign trail in Black areas and stir up racism, it's the thing that gets Black voters off their asses to vote. Watching that idiot of a VP try to "talk all ghetto" is stomach wrenching to say the least.

#17     Sep 18, 2012
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

It needs to be done, regardless of the how.

#18     Sep 18, 2012
  9. Well, I have paid Fed and state income taxes, payroll taxes, every year since 1984, and property taxes either indirectly (rent)
    or directly since then. I only mention that so I "qualify " to speak on the matter.

The SS benefits I am inline for Social Security, have been indexed based on what I have paid over the years. I get a statement once a year. Even those below the Federal income tax threshold are paying medicare and SS taxes. But let's put that aside because your argument is if you don't pay INCOME tax, you should not get to vote. Okay. How much income tax do you need to pay in order to vote? $1? $100? $1000? $10,000? Is it a percent of one's income? If I pay 4 times as much Federal tax as you Lucrum, can I vote 4 times as much as you, or will my vote carry 4 times the weight as yours in the Presidential elections?

You will probably offer the notion of a flat tax of some kind for a vote. But why would I agree to that if I am paying 4 times as much federal tax as you are?

And how are you going to get a voting tax instituted anyway when your stated goal is to stop the no Fed tax people from voting? They aren't going to agree to that tax, are they?

Maybe we ought to just raise taxes so the lower income segments pay some Federal tax. . Oops, that would put the retardicans in a real quandary. Grover would hold thier nuts to the fire.

#19     Sep 18, 2012
  10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

You could solve all of this with a flat consumption based tax (no income tax) and a balanced budget amendment prohibiting Congress from ever running a deficit. Then it no longer matters who votes for what.

#20     Sep 18, 2012