Romney And Abortion: Another Shift In The Works?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Sep 9, 2012.

1. http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...-shift-in-the-works?ec=shots&ps=storycategory

Romney And Abortion: Another Shift In The Works?

Is Mitt Romney shifting his abortion position again?

It's fairly well-known that Romney proclaimed himself in favor of abortion rights when he ran for office in Massachusetts, then reversed himself before launching his presidential bid. But recently, the GOP nominee seems to be softening his opposition somewhat. Or is he?

Romney proclaimed himself a strong supporter of abortion rights both in 1994, when he ran unsuccessfully for Senate against incumbent Democrat Edward Kennedy, and in 2002, when he defeated Democrat Shannon O'Brien to become governor.

"I will preserve and protect a woman's right to choose," he said in a 2002 debate with O'Brien. "And I do take exception to Shannon characterizing my view as being any different than hers in this regard; The Boston Globe recently reported there's not a paper's width worth of difference between our two positions in this regard."

But that changed halfway though Romney's term as governor. He says his conversion came after he talked to a Harvard scientist about embryonic stem cells. Now, he says his position is to oppose almost all abortions.

"My own view is that I oppose abortion except for cases of rape, incest, and where the life of the mother is threatened," he told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt Aug. 24.

But that's slightly different from what he told CBS that same week.

"My position has been clear throughout the campaign," he said. "I'm in favor of abortion being legal in the case of rape and incest, and health and life of the mother."

So in that interview, Romney added one more exception — for the woman's health.

The Romney campaign won't say the candidate misspoke, but a spokeswoman does say he doesn't support an exception to protect the health of the pregnant woman. That's because other abortion opponents, including GOP vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan, insist it creates too large a loophole, since health often encompasses mental health, too.

"The health exception is a loophole wide enough to drive a Mack truck through it," said Ryan on the House floor during a debate in 2000 on a bill to ban the procedure some call "partial birth" abortion. "The health exception would render this ban virtually meaningless."

2. In case you missed it Romney in another attempt to sprint to the center puts him at odds with Ryan and other pro lifers

"My position has been clear throughout the campaign," he said. "I'm in favor of abortion being legal in the case of rape and incest, and health and life of the mother."-Mitt Romney

Ryan has called bullshit on the health exemption Romney has recently added to his position

"The health exception is a loophole wide enough to drive a Mack truck through it," said Ryan on the House floor during a debate in 2000 on a bill to ban the procedure some call "partial birth" abortion. "The health exception would render this ban virtually meaningless."

3. You know, how sometimes when you read something, preparing for an exam, or a speech, or even a college debate, you sometimes tend to just blurt out the written word in lieu of what you were supposed to say? Sorry for the long, run on sentence, but you get my drift. I think maybe Mitt is suffering the same thing. Reading something that was written for him, and just repeating it, even though the written word was supposed to be cut off before the 'health of the mother' portion.

I have to say, it really has to be tough to have to listen to so many others about your opinions. And, I know all politico's have to listen, but some are better at thinking before speaking. AND, even though this may come back to bite me, I think it's very, very hard what Mitt is attempting to do in this regard.

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

In case you missed it many of us are voting for him anyway.

Abortion is so far down my list of things to worry about I'm not even sure it's on the list anymore.

5. Good to hear. Better clarify: good hear about your lack of concern about abortion. Let the laws stand.