Rolled Back to the Old ET

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Baron, Feb 25, 2013.

1. BSAM

BSAM

Am I:

A. Dreaming

B. In a time warp.

C. In the twilight zone.

Please advise.
    Thanks.:cool:

#11     Feb 25, 2013
  2. Thank you Baron. It takes a real leader to admit a mistake. You have guided this site with great insight and judgment for 15 years or so, maybe more. I first started on the site when you were selling Colographic video cards here. In all that time, this is the only misstep I can recall. Like a good trader, you quickly cut your one bad trade short.

I've been away and missed much of the debate on the new site, but let me echo what some of the other oldtimers said. ET has always had the most brilliantly useable interface of any message board. It was (is) a model of how a site should look and feel. Sadly, the new version fell short. Personally, I felt the avatars looked juvernile and detracted from the professional look of the site. There was way too much other stuff going on as well. Leave that crap to Facebook, et al. Keep ET lean and mean.

A crucial feature of ET is the ability to scan recent threads under each forum from the forum page. Many of us like to do a quick scan of what's happening on the site from that page. We are just not going to take the time to click on each forum heading if the recent threads are not visible.

For now at least, life can return to normal.

#12     Feb 25, 2013
  3. agree with you.

but like the other poster said, its better to roll out new features in phases as opposed to all at once. then you can manage the change better and its not a shock to the meat and potato folks.

baron, you should bring back the "alerts" function if you can as perhaps 1 new feature, then roll in other stuff 1x1 later on

#13     Feb 25, 2013
  4. BSAM

BSAM

Okay, brother Baron the consensus is in...
    Put the new version into place, remove the avatars, let 'em cruise the first five posts on the forums page if it makes 'em feel good.
    Win/win.

At any rate, this long timer remains whichever way you deem best.
    I know you did a lot of work implementing the new version.
    Hmmm...there I go having to use my "[/]" keys again.
    Glad I didn't have them removed from my keyboard.

#14     Feb 25, 2013
  5. i am deeply saddened by the events of the past week. im shaken, im aggravated, and truly on edge and am not sure i can continue with this site.

no, jking. really, its no big deal. lol. :p

#15     Feb 25, 2013
  6. gmst

gmst

Like feature was cool. I want to like this post, but can't. LOL.

Another thing - smilies in the new version were better.

#16     Feb 25, 2013
  7. RedDuke

RedDuke

Hi Baron.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE OLD FORMAT IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not like the new site, and I can very easily adopt to new things, so being new is never an issue for me.

Totally agree with above points. The old, "current" site is awesome. Very professional, easy to read without any distractions.

Also, new search was not working properly, especially in titles with short 3 characters strings.

If you ever decide to roll out a new beta, let us know, and many of us will help in testing.

Regards,
    redduke

#17     Feb 25, 2013
  8. BSAM

BSAM

Like.:p

#18     Feb 25, 2013
  9. I agree. If you could put in the alert, like, and improve the smileys, the rest could stay the same. Is that possible?

#19     Feb 25, 2013

10. Thanks Baron.
    The older format is much much better IMHO

#20     Feb 25, 2013