rolex

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by morganist, Oct 19, 2009.

1. I own a steel rolex explorer.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinderimages/d51581/d5158187l.jpg

I thought buying a stainless steel watch with a good name would last me forever with no maintenance. I was wrong. 3.5 years old and the thing stops.

I bring it to the shop the twat asks me "when is the last time you had it serviced?" Real attitude like I was wasting her time.

I say "never its 3.5 years old....".

- Dumb blank stare back - "its got to go to rolex"

"ok"

Rolex calls me back and tell me its "got a broken whooseewhatsit and its scratched and its dirty..but for $550.00 we will service it"

So I say "fix the broken piece...I dont care about the rest".

They say "we dont do it like that..it requires a full service including a cleaning for $550.00"

Mind you..the watch only cost $3500....

Basically i`ll never buy another rolex again. I love it...but it will be the only one I ever own.

#11     Oct 20, 2009
  2. Good old seiko. Only one I've ever owned. Been on my wrist for 22 years.

#12     Oct 20, 2009

3. you got off super easy.

#13     Oct 20, 2009
  4. morganist

morganist Guest

my current watch is a casio it is ok. it runs well and it is functional. that is what i need however when i bought it it said it had a metal case but it is plastic it looks metal but it is not so i want a metal one but with functionality.

i thought of rolex but the functionality is terrible in comparison. i thought it might be worth it for the investment but obviously not it needs servicing. so i will stick with the casio. it can set five timers for set days in the year so that is something.

#14     Oct 20, 2009
  5. I was originally looking for an Omega when I saw the Breitling.
    Very durable, my neighbor is a jeweler, he advised not getting sucked into the maintenance routine.
    Not sure I would buy another big $ watch. At this point it's more jewelry than timekeeping.

#15     Oct 20, 2009
  6. Rolex in the past was never a superexpensive watch. Until they started the Marketing plan.

Rolex watches in general are machine built and the movements are no better than the Swiss 20-30 dollar automatic ETA movements.

Real money wear Pateks.

#16     Oct 20, 2009
  7. It is between Patek and Vacheron Constantin (VC was found in the year 1755)

I personally like Patek and the grand complicated 5016 model more than anything

#17     Oct 20, 2009
  8. Patek. VC.
    Which do you guys own?

#18     Oct 20, 2009
  9. Rolex, Prada, Gucci, Cristal, etc... almost as big a <b>red flag of dishonest, shady character</b> as when the guy calls you "buddy" or "my friend".

I've yet to meet a 'trendy' honest man.

#19     Oct 20, 2009
  10. I wear my watch (Breitling).
    I didn't buy it to show people.
    It has been to church, funerals, christenings, weddings, birthdays, saltwater fishing, swimming, strip clubs, company meetings, you name it. It was more than I had intended to spend, but it has "feel".
    Not crazy about the bracelet, though. It seems cheaper than the rest of the watch.

#20     Oct 20, 2009