Rogue trader, Revelations from LeMonde page 1

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by momoNY, Jan 30, 2008.

1. sprstpd

sprstpd

I think he had a big position on that was initially a winner but then turned into a loser.

#21     Jan 31, 2008
  2. jw2008

jw2008

anybody read that his brother was a trader at bnp and was let go for questionable trades as well?

#22     Jan 31, 2008
  3. subban

subban

Yes, I can't help it your mother is too popular.

#23     Jan 31, 2008
  4. nonam

nonam

How to screw up world stockmarkets: The management of Societe Generale SA, France's second-largest bank, appears dumber by the day. Not only did they not find their trader -- he'd been at it since 2005 -- not only did they not find bets totaling more than the bank's entire worth, but they panicked like the dumbest of dumb investors. They handed all Kerviel's positions to one trader who unwound all the positions in one day of massive selling. As word got around about the massive unwinding, everyone and his uncle stepped back and let the idiot sell at what became distress prices, thereby tripling Kerviel's paper losses and exposing Societe Generale's management for the idiots they were.:eek:

#25     Jan 31, 2008
  5. sumosam

sumosam

They deserve to loose the money. Wonder if they will receive a government bail-out?

#26     Jan 31, 2008
  6. I wonder if the French police are investigating Jéróme Kerviel's management to learn to what extent management knew and approved of Mr. Kerviel's trading activities.

#27     Feb 1, 2008
  7. dont

dont

It was three days, but basically you are exactly right. They should be hung drawn and quartered for the fools they are.

#28     Feb 1, 2008
  8. quote:

I was less regarded than the others because of my college education, professional and personal backgrounds.

--

In the management, there's probably a lot of snob values associated with trading in Paris, "who you know not what you know", in other words they might not be doing their job properly.

#29     Feb 1, 2008
  9. hsmc1970

hsmc1970

I trade here in Paris most of what I see here is French society is very hierarchical a lot depends on your Diploma or masters and what school you went to.

#30     Feb 1, 2008