Rogue trader cost MF Global $142M

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by crgarcia, Feb 29, 2008.

1. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

i am only an equity guy and don't know of any firm that permits "market orders" in after hours. it would be impossible for me to do a market order in after hours trading. my guess is he was short and then panicked by pressing market instead of limit and perhaps he only intended to cover a portion but he wound up covering everything? does'nt add up.

#41     Feb 29, 2008
  2. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

also,what is his liability going to be? will he be taken to court and ordered to pay the money he lost or at least a portion?

#42     Feb 29, 2008
  3. I have heard of Man Financial of course. I did not know that MF was out of Bermuda. One of the articles implied that the trader was out of Bermuda. I still don't understand; this guy was an independent trader who slippped thru margin, a prop trader for MF global, or an employee. The first article said that the "rogue" trader was fired and was a registered representative. If the latter is the case then, risk management like SocGen is a wink and a nod. That is kind of my point; it makes a big difference as far as the ethics go. On the one hand he is painted as a scoundrel vs a guy on the wrong side of a big trade ala Brian Hunter. I have no ill will towards MF or anyone else. I think it is sad that some hard working guys on the desk are gonna get canned because of the losses and who ever is left gets to work even harder. Maybe someone can clear this up.

#43     Feb 29, 2008
  4. I just hope they let the guy short silver futures..

#44     Feb 29, 2008
  5. The guy had all his skin in the game if he was trading his own account. An off balance sheet partnership perhaps. Trust me, the guy lost every last cent to his name.

#45     Feb 29, 2008
  6. is that true? thats a lot

#46     Mar 1, 2008
  7. isnt MF based in the Caribbean?

#47     Mar 1, 2008
  8. Dooley was an account executive. A guy who had customers that would trade in 10 lots. Small retail hedging or speculative accounts. He was a licensed commodites broker. A series 3 type customers man. MF has many of these type of agents. They bring in business that clears through MF global.

Because of this Dooley had electronic order access. I guess so he could enter trades for customers. Dooley also had a personal account. This is where he made the trades. For whatever reason, possibly because of his business relationship with MF, Dooley was able to override any position size controls with his order entry software. He built up a position short 14,000 wheat futures contracts in the electroninc only session starting at 6pm chicago time and ending at 5am. The trading reopened at 9:30am with Dooley still short. At around 10:20 am the price of the may contract spiked $2.00 ($10,000 a contract) in a few minutes. Why the price of wheat spiked $2.00 in a few minutes isn't certain. But 14,000 contracts * $10,000=$140,000,000.

MF was negligent in having order entry software that would allow someone to build up a position of that size. The margin requirements for that size is $80million. I am sure Dooley didn't have $80 million in his personal account.

IF MF fixes their order entry software and they keep their customers and investors regain confidence in MF's risk management systmes, I think the stock is a buy.

#48     Mar 1, 2008
  9. I don't think so.

$142M is peanuts compared to the damage to MF stock, Dooley may do if he starts talking in the courts, with all the media listening.

It may even backfire and end up in Dooley suing MF, we're in a litigious society, you know.

So, they just want this mess to fade from public opinion, and regain investor confidence.

#49     Mar 1, 2008
  10. MF slit their own throat with the cover. It's obvious they covered at the market. Because of Wheats volatility the Globex "book" is quite thin. I neglected to look at Time and Sales (I don't have access to T&S data more than a day old) but I'd guess that Man paid limit up on the bulk of the liquidation. From what I've heard the problem was less than 20mil on the RTH open.

#50     Mar 1, 2008