Rogue Trader, Chicago Style (Great Story)

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Maverick74, Oct 26, 2010.

1. zdreg

zdreg

your story reminds me of a biotech stock which had "big news." the stock did nothing. a few month later it got a mention with the same news in a major newspaper. the stock tripled within a few hours.

#21     Oct 27, 2010
  2. Eddiefl

Eddiefl

#22     Oct 27, 2010
  3. at least give some credit to the blog you got this from. I read it yesterday too... a few hours before you posted it...

note: it looks like said blog in question http://masteroftheuniverse.wordpress.com/ is deleted today. anybody know what the story is? Does nokomisjeff still read ET??

#23     Oct 27, 2010
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

That's not where I got it from. Michael Covel tweeted it. Kudos goes to him.

#24     Oct 27, 2010
  5. hmmm where do you think Covel got it from? He didn't just dig up a story from the 1990's on his own out of the blue. I hope Jeff brings his blog back soon...He has had many great stories from the pits in Chicago based on his experience as an independent trader for 30 years... No offense meant towards Covel though, he has to get material from somewhere I suppose.

#25     Oct 27, 2010
  6. This looks like a great blog too on trading history and memorabilia as mentioned by billyjoerob as an earlier source on the Zimmerman story. Like the original invitation to the opening day of NYMEX's light sweet crude oil futures in March 1983! Even autographed by then Mayor Ed Koch who rang the opening bell... no too many of those floating around...wonder how much this would fetch on eBay? :)

http://www.tradingpitblog.com/

#26     Oct 27, 2010
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

A rogue trader makes unauthorized trades and eventually loses huge. Enron's trading desk was always hugely profitable and although you could call their actions immoral during the California energy crisis, they were authorized. If you think of the management, they weren't traders...

So they don't classify....

#27     Oct 27, 2010
  8. Great read, just goes to show that people who think they know the business from inside (brokers et al.) have their heads up their asses most of time regarding market dynamics.

Better to be a new retail guy directly learning to trade then be someone who thinks they "know" markets just because they are the middlemen or in the financial industry.

Max.

#28     Oct 27, 2010
  9. thenmmm

thenmmm

Merton and Scholes heh...if that's not rough - nothing else is...

#29     Oct 28, 2010
  10. "In 1986 a con man named Dan Dewey walked into the pit disguised in a false beard and glasses and racked up big positions in the contract. The idea was that if his trades were winners, he would attribute them to his confederate, a trader named Tom Sanders. If the trades were losers, well, no one would ever know who that man in the beard was who made the trades. Dewey, Sanders, and two others would have pocketed $308,000 if they hadn't been caught."

classic if you see a guy wearing a groucho mask, don't sell him more than a 10 lot. :p

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/busted/Content?oid=891725

#30     Oct 28, 2010