Roger Clemens could get 30 years for lying to congress. What a joke.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Hello, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Hello

Hello

Does anyone else see something seriously wrong with this picture. Dont get me wrong, i find it reprehensible that Clemens lied and tried to get away with it when he could have told the truth and gotten a pass. With that said there is something seriously wrong when you can get 30 years in prison for lying to congress.

These assholes on both sides of the aisle lie to us non stop, and they dont even bat an eyelid. Not only is lying not frowned upon by congressman, i think that people within the parties actually encourage it. If anyone did what maxine waters or charlie Rangel did,(i only used these 2 cause they are the most recent) they would be in jail, but i doubt these 2 will even lose their jobs.

Why do we allow these assholes to play by a totally different set of rules then us. Not only do they not follow the rules they create, but they have the audacity to look down on people and sneer like sanctimonious pricks as they try to chastise people in these congressional hearings.

I think if anything since we are the ones who are footing the bill for their salaries they should be held to a much higher standard, but instead most of the laws which we must follow are simply not enforced on them.

We need to get rid of every last one of these ass holes.

WASHINGTON (AP)—A federal grand jury’s indictment of pitching great Roger Clemens for allegedly lying to Congress about his use of steroids deals a further blow to baseball, reinforcing the game’s image as a sport where the use of performance enhancing drugs was widespread.

The six-count indictment alleges that one of the most dominant pitchers of his era obstructed a congressional inquiry with 15 different statements made under oath, including denials that he had ever used steroids or human growth hormone. As he did when he testified to a House committee in 2008, the seven-time Cy Young winner denied using the substances again Thursday and said he will fight to clear his name.

“I never took HGH or Steroids. And I did not lie to Congress,” Clemens said on Twitter. “I look forward to challenging the Governments accusations, and hope people will keep an open mind until trial. I appreciate all the support I have been getting. I am happy to finally have my day in court.”

Clemens is just the latest superstar to be ensnared in baseball’s steroid scandal. All-time home run king Barry Bonds is scheduled to go on trial in March on charges of lying to a federal grand jury when he said he never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs. Slugger Mark McGwire admitted earlier this year to using steroids.

Clemens, who turned 48 this month, ranks ninth on the career list with 354 victories and was an 11-time All-Star. During a 23-year career that ended in 2007, he played for the Boston Red Sox, the Toronto Blue Jays, the Yankees and the Houston Astros and struck out 4,672 with a lifetime 3.12 ERA.

The former pitcher faces a combined maximum sentence of 30 years in prison and a $1.5 million fine if convicted on all charges. However, under U.S. sentencing guidelines, he would probably face no more than 15 to 21 months in prison.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-clemens-steroids

2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

If convicted...the max he'll get is 2 years prison time. However, if he's a good boy in prision...he'll be out in 10 - 12 months.

Yeah, he'll spend time in a low security prison where he won't become someone's girlfriend. As for the Hall of Fame...it's history (he won't get in) regardless if he's convicted or not.

Now look at Barry Bonds, they had a strong case until the judge through out some key piece of evidence. Had it not been for the evidence toss out...Bonds would have gotten much worst than Clemens...more like actual prison time of about 2 years.

Mark

3. Hello

Hello

Dont get me wrong im not by any means defending clemens actions, and i realise he will probably only serve a little bit of time, but the fact lying to a bunch of congressmen who lie to us non stop is punishable by up to 30 years in prison makes my blood boil.

4. +1

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Mine too. Being prosecuted for lying to congress is like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500.

6. Hello

Hello

Good analogy, but ill add a little twist, it is more like someone winning the Indy 500 by 5 laps and then getting out of his car and ticketing the rest of the people coming in for speeding.

7. So stupid. Who hasn't taken steroids here if you play sports?

I have taken D-bol only though