Rocket scientist want to move to the financial industry: How to?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Nym, Dec 14, 2012.

1. It seemed to me that the OP was oriented to HR.

Are you HR and resume oriented? No go - getters are.

If I go to a meeting, I am going to find what I am looking for.

The OP needs quality experience since he is not doing well on his own.

I feel that brilliant questions can fast track anyone.

Here you gave it a shot and I found out fast I was looking for someone other than you.

We reached an agreement rapidly.

#21     Dec 15, 2012
  2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Were you doing those "after 4pm" trading?

#22     Dec 15, 2012
  3. Nym - I think you're been given poor advice. Many of the top wall street firms and hedge funds hire "rocket scientists" without them having any trading experience.

If you truly are a rocket scientist with a PhD or masters in a hard science such as math, physics, statistics, or possibly economy, someone will likely give you an opportunity. That you understand market mechanics is a plus, but unless you have a stellar record, I would not stress your trading background.

#23     Dec 15, 2012
  4. Nym

Nym

Thanks everybody for the suggestions I appreciate a lot! In short, no I do not have a profitable strategy that is out of the box and due to the fact that i do not have quite a lot of time for trading i focus in long term investment. In the past couple of years I did fine, clearly better that following the advices of a retail banker or a private banker, nevertheless I never deeply applied my maths skills in trading due to the fact that:
    -) need to find a reliable source of datas
    -) need to get familiar with tools
    -) I do not have a valid fellow to discuss with
    -) time is limited, and at the end of the day i am very tired of "playing with math"

At this point, I do not mind to make some big shift that will free my time so that i can be more focus. If i do that it will be a fresh start with a world that i do not know, so i would like to know "practically everything" starting from what is more obvious.
    I personally see 2 options:
    a) shoot for a firm and get some experience.
    b) hide myself in a cave (with good internet connection) and start a one man army.

I do not see myself ready for B (but never say never) so i am tented to goes for A. How the CV of a quant "want to be" likes? What are the critical aspects of my expertise that i should stress? To how i should send it?

I do not know if I am a rocket scientist, is not up to me to say that; however I do have a master in computer engineering, a PhD in Computer Science (minor in High Performance Computing), a Post Doc in experimental nuclear Physics, another in software engineering and a third one in information management (mainly cloud computing).

Are you aware of any good web-site and/or headhunter company where i should put my CV?

As i said, i would not mind to acquire some experience and if i would have the possibility to choose i would prefer quant or analyst or maybe risk management.

Thanks Jack you have been inspiring, i just compete with myself. I am not the kind of guy that "run alone" but i think that competing with others distracts you from the real objectives in life.
    Also i must confess that the fact that "time is not recaptured" is the most valid argument for "not jump the other side"

P.S: i currently live in the Netherlands any fellow nearby? ;)

#24     Dec 16, 2012
  5. ammo

ammo

#25     Dec 16, 2012
  6. ;-)

You are not satisfied in your current job. Why would you look for another one where somebody else tells you again what to do?

Read Jack's stuff about PVT, SCT, PEP, whatever. PVT... using Jack's words "...is a part time job...". Build the capital you require in a few month then say good bye to your boss. Switch to SCT and think about what to do with all that money... how to use it to solve local problems.

It's that easy... at least if you are a rocket scientist. ;-)

#26     Dec 16, 2012
  7. You're like a smoking hot blonde around a pack of wolves around here . You should be eaten up pretty quickly.

#27     Dec 16, 2012
  8. Nym

Nym

Haha, if you are giving me a hot blonde i will take it as a compliment :D

frenchfry: thinking that money management, and treading in particular, is a piece of cake is the mistake that the pack of wolves mentioned by athlonmank8 is looking for.
    Rocket scientist or not ... nobody is smarter then the market, trading is a profession and you need skills and experience for that.

#28     Dec 17, 2012
  9. So.. you think the only ones who could beat the market were those illegally "past posting"?

Though unethical and illegal, wasn't even "that big of a deal" for those who were.

As a matter of fact, I received several checks from the class action laws suits which followed.

#29     Dec 17, 2012
  10. CT10Gov

CT10Gov

What kind of 'rocket' scientist are you? Are you an aerospace engineering guy? Are you a signal processing guy? Work with flight control systems?

Or are you a C/C++ 'rocket' science guy?

#30     Dec 17, 2012