Rocket scientist want to move to the financial industry: How to?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Nym, Dec 14, 2012.

1. An "audited" track record is usually expensive. What you need is an "audit-ABLE" track record... such that when someone questions your veracity, you can show them proof.... KEEP RECORDS... monthly/annual statements of ALL trades. TELL THE TRUTH, ALL THE TIME. If you don't, you'll eventually be found out, embarrassed, and rejected. Nobody escapes "bumps". They are expected. Don't try to hide them. Don't be surprised if it takes a couple/few YEARS longer than you expect. I'd proposed my services to viable candidates who had known me for years as an honest, smart, hard working guy... but as I was a "local nobody".... with no "big name support"... didn't graduate Wharton, didn't work for GS or Merrill, wasn't on Wall Street... I never got genuine credibility/belief until featured in IBD and Barrons. Credibility WILL come eventually if you're consistently good.

#11     Dec 14, 2012
  2. Now that's what I call rocket science.

:D

#12     Dec 14, 2012
  3. "Same place"... good definition of "meeting"... LOL!

#13     Dec 14, 2012
  4. NFA limits you.

Your master account has other linked accounts.

Try to get well past latency.

When you compare what you are "looking for", you will find an endless stream and as has been explained, years passing.

Time is not recaptured.

Finish looking for "mistakes"

Competing is just "interesting".

Only play with better traders. Better traders could be looking for you, if you have the brains.

The mind that forwards the FI is asking the "new" questions.

Look at the mottos of leaders. Find BTL's and find IBM's motto's

Lets say you find a non quant.

Ask why he is using the different maths in the specific twist he demonstrated. Show how you can reinforce it sooner than he does.

#14     Dec 14, 2012
  5. Look at me. I am the Adj Prof on the side of the room at Wharton. Are you sitting in the room?

Is it rocket science to be at Wharton?

Being asked to be at Wharton is rocket science.

People at Wharton that students sit around get asked to do odd jobs by jumping on the PRR that goes to Grand Central Station.

Do you have breakfast at the Links Club?

#15     Dec 14, 2012
  6. I hope you are charging a significant extra fee for the objective ability.

#16     Dec 14, 2012
  7. How is $5,000/year for an accounting firm "expensive"?

If you don't have annual Financial Statements...
    That jive with your Tax Returns...
    No serious person is going to "audit" bare trading records...
    For obvious reasons (incompleteness, multiple accounts, etc).

And this is not "credibility"... just basic record keeping.

#17     Dec 15, 2012
  8. You make "objective" bold. You some kind of smart ass?

No extra fee. Just the standard .5%/qtr for "mutual fund timing service". Fund portfolio managers eventually got tired of our switching and effectively kicked us all out from using their funds. Was good while it lasted.... had one 5-yr stretch averaging 75%/yr... no leverage.

And (1) Yes, used only TA, (2) Yes, used stops, (3) No, didn't use volume.

Not charging anybody now... retired from OPM and regulatory hassles.

#18     Dec 15, 2012
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

The OP never said he has a profitable strategy and it is unclear he wants to be a programmer, quant, analyst or trader in the industry....

So which one is it???

#19     Dec 15, 2012
  10. zdreg

zdreg

those were the days.

buying gold funds which had a lot of australian gold mining stocks. gold and gold stocks were moving in american market. momentum was likely to carry over to australian market. you got yesterday's prices before the australian market opened.

#20     Dec 15, 2012