Rocket science

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Banjo, Feb 28, 2003.

1. As close as I can get to helping out...

http://www.johncon.com/

Check out the section called NtropiX and look for the Excel spreadsheet to understand what this guy's about. The author of the spreadsheet is clever to have figured out how to put all that Unix code into an Excel application.

Bruce

#11     Mar 1, 2003
  2. "in addition to" being the operative words.

personally, with unlimited funds, i could think a thousand other things i'd rather do than trade.
    even a thousand other intellectual pursuits, rather than figuring out trading to the nth degree.

the whole question is misguided, as if somehow it's a question of technology.. lol.

#12     Mar 1, 2003
  3. Danny Boy,

You do realize that there are a thousand and one 'saner' and 'easier' ways to get the cheese right?

#13     Mar 1, 2003
  4. depends what kind of cheese you're talking about...

#14     Mar 1, 2003
  5. Approaching the stock market by an entropic approach (I'm smiling "entropic" is like the "new economy" fashion way of saying stochastics) is the poorest one. That is the only way pure mathematic can do it since it sees everything as points and can't invent outside knowledge. Shanon or kelly theory of communication is not complete information theory and will never be since mathematics doesn't cope with semantics and semantics are the real knowledge. If not so you could just learn french by using an entropic approach haha I like common sense sometimes :D

#15     Mar 1, 2003
  6. Yes and I am still saying that; the game is only about making money ...

#16     Mar 1, 2003
  7. Entropy is just a measure of the unpredictability of a system. In the context of the link I mentioned the spreadsheet is just an attempt to filter the normal "noise" of the market and present the "dominant trend", as Ehlers would say. By offering the spreadsheet I was only contributing something that might stimulate others and also provide them with an example of what Banjo was asking for, "If I can do what I do (e minis) with P4 boxes, available retail user adjustable software, dsl/cable/api, etc, how would a world class player with unlimited funds do it?"

The consolation of deaf people is to read, and sometimes to scribble.
    ATTRIBUTION: Voltaire [François Marie Arouet] (1694–1778), French philosopher, author. letter, Aug. 5, 1761, to Lord Chesterfield.

Bruce

#17     Mar 1, 2003
  8. How come my compression algorithm works so well on this sequence of words?

#18     Mar 1, 2003