robust tradingstrategy?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ninja11, Aug 2, 2010.

1. ninja11

ninja11

I used for all markets 5 min and 120 min.
    except the ES. I used 3 min and 60 min for it.

I used alltogether around 180000 Bars. In this 180.000 Bars I got 455 trades.

I backtest it with ensign. But I do not use the computer for my backtests. I scrolled the chart forward and back, and backtestet by myself!

It was really many and hard work, but I did it... I also backtested it very realistic.

#11     Aug 3, 2010
  2. d08

d08

You say you didn't use optimization but that is optimization right there. I also saw you picked just some dow components, how did you end up with those? I see no problem with optimizing for a specific contract (e.g. ES, CL) but you need at least 3 years of data and 500+ trades preferably. You are just giving the profit factor but that doesn't tell the whole story, what about the Sharpe (or Sortino) or just the recovery factor.

#12     Aug 3, 2010
  3. So you scrolled through 180000 bars manually for 7 instruments? Oh my!

Why didn't you program the system? or is it the case that your trading rules are not very exact to program?

#13     Aug 3, 2010
  4. ninja11

ninja11

I didn't optimize. I took 3 min and 60 min because the ES has enough volatility and enough volume to trade on 3 min. So I took the 3 min.

It took few weeks to get this 455 trades. hehe
    Yeah, it was really many work. The reason why I didn't use my PC to backtest is, I didn't have the ability to write a script for the backtest...
    I don't know how to do it!

I just want check my tradingidea. Want to know how it works on the market. After 455 trades, it seems that it works... or am I wrong?

#14     Aug 3, 2010
  5. ninja11

ninja11

Anybody has a tip for me?

#15     Aug 4, 2010