"Robots, artificial intelligence boom may cost US, UK at least 1/3 of their jobs: Study"

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Gotcha, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Gotcha

Gotcha

This I believe is the real threat in the future for the economy, jobs, social order, taxes, etc. Basically, everything will change.

I have been already saying how the trucking industry will be transformed, and in less than 10 years I would say because of the driverless truck technology. Since many states have trucking as their number one job, the fallout will be huge. And this is only one sector.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/25/robo...st-us-uk-at-least-13-of-their-jobs-study.html

TheTrue1 likes this.
  2. kfir

kfir

We have to embrace the technology

ET180 and Chuck Krug like this.
  3. Simples

Simples

Why?

4. kfir

kfir

It makes our life better and longer (normally)

Also it may kill a sector but it creates new opportunities think about 3d printers, it creates new jobs even if it kills some.

Yes we will probably have less jobs to offer in the future but not by a lot (since each new technology also introduce new opportunities)

ET180 and Visaria like this.
  5. mlawson71

mlawson71

Technological progress is a one-way street.
    People used to break into factories and destroy the newly installed steam-engines because they replaced them, but that didn't stop the wide-scale industrialization. I don't think we have a choice but to accept that the next big step in technological development will happen. It's inevitable.

ET180 likes this.
  6. java

java

Not in Amish Country. We decide what machines are going to do. Decisions in the past were made based on need. Decisions in the future will be made based on abundance.

7. Gameboy

Gameboy

Automation/ Robots will be fantastic for everyone, they work for the same hourly rate be it in China, UK or US. So why make it in China and pay for shipping when the consumers are in the US? Then just like all other tech, cars, planes, mobile phones, internet ect the eventually get around the world.

Lets say 90% of circuit boards (example only) are done by robots, well thats 10% jobs for the boards consumed. Which is far better than the near zero currently.

Yes truck driving will be transformed, sounds better than having drivers drugged up to meet near impossible deadlines.

8. java

java

DOT Hours of Service Law make drivers so lazy nobody is dying of anything other than boredom. But you are correct, automation will replace most of our innefficient transportation system. Takes a lot of diesel to grow a head of lettuce in CA and eat it in NJ. New growhouse technology makes it possible now for any city to have a fertile valley.

AKUMATOTENSHI and Simples like this.
  9. vanzandt

vanzandt

Ahhhh.... I don't think that's necessarily true.
    A gallon of diesel is $2.50. A head of lettuce is $1.

But that one dollar includes labor, equipment costs, fertilizer, opportunity cost of the real-estate, storage, AND transport.
    Its all about scale I guess.... and efficiency of the market.
    It amazes me too; but they're not selling lettuce at a loss.
    Or perhaps they are... who knows.

10. Simples

Simples

How are market efficiencies comparing to laws of thermodynamics?

#10     Mar 26, 2017