Robinhood in top shareholders

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by ScroogeMcDuck, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Does robinhood ever show up on the list of top shareholders of a company or do they own it through someone else?

Or would the individual robinhood users show up on there if the list were long enough?

Nobert likes this.
  2. Overnight

Overnight

Robinhood is a broker. Why would they show up as owning shares in a company through their users via proxy?

3. xandman

xandman

It is more likely they have a date cutoff to determine a "Shareholder on Record" or some sort. Perhaps, quarterly.

4. guru

guru

Why would a broker show as a shareholder? Are brokers allowed to claim ownership of the shares I purchased through them?

Nobert likes this.
  5. xandman

xandman

It was just a guess. Apparently, I was wrong. It's in "Street name registration".

https://www.sec.gov/reportspubs/investor-publications/investorpubsholdsechtm.html

Though, I recall a time when I got direct shareholder mailings. So, they know. Try registering for a shareholder meeting and see if you they have a validation procedure.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Nobert likes this.
  6. SanMiguel

SanMiguel

Are you thinking of funds like BlackRock who show up in holdings?

7. xandman

xandman

Not really. The OP was thinking about small individuals who buy thru RH. We know that shares can change hands every millisecond. So, I am making the assumption that they us longer cutoff times for reporting purposes.

We can assume there may be a size cutoff. But, I will attest that I got a shareholder letter addressed to me in the mail for my small holding. Circa-1990s ? Probably, not more than 100 shares thru Brown or Etrade. And, I have never owned shares directly.