Rob Portman backs gay marriage after son comes out

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/03/rob-portman-gay-marriage-stance-88903.html#ixzz2NcR9UPO0

Rob Portman backs gay marriage after son comes out

Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio), once a staunch opponent of gay marriage, says that he now supports same-sex nuptials after his son told him he was gay.

“I’m announcing today a change of heart on an issue that a lot of people feel strongly about that has to do with gay couples’ opportunity to marry,” Portman said, according to CNN.

Two years ago, his son Will came out to Portman and his wife Jane during Will’s freshman year at Yale University, which eventually led Portman to support same-sex marriage.

Portman said he discussed the issue with members of his church’s community and former Republican vice president Dick Cheney, whose daughter is gay.

“The overriding message of love and compassion that I take from the Bible, and certainly the Golden Rule, and the fact that I believe we are all created by our maker, that has all influenced me in terms of my change on this issue,” Portman told reporters during an interview in his office on Thursday, according to The Plain Dealer.

He also said: “It allowed me to think of this issue from a new perspective, and that’s of a Dad who loves his son a lot and wants him to have the same opportunities that his brother and sister would have — to have a relationship like Jane and I have had for over 26 years.”

2. Typical Republican hypocrite.Gays dont deserve equal rights until its his son

3. Typical self serving politican. I'm against it, until it affects me. Then I'm for it. Or, I'm for it, no wait, I'm against it. Which way is the wind blowing today? I'm for that direction. Vote for me.

4. Republicans preaching morality is like Democrats preaching free speech, or any other constitutional right for that matter. Both parties are very selective about who these things should apply too, and of course are themselves immune to scrutiny on any topic.

5. I agree they are all scum,I think republicans more so though.

6. I find it all ironic. The last 30-40 years our society has mocked the antiquated concept of marriage. (Actually discouraged it in the black community) "Live together". Remove the stigma of having children out of wedlock "You don't need to be married."

"It's only a piece of paper". "Marriage is an institution, who wants to live in an institution?" On and on....

Fast forward....the gay issue..... marriage is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Let me ask you this. Anyone hear in the media promoting marriage between men and women? Nope. I wonder why?
    ------------------

“All My Babies’ Mamas” after the promotion of an online petition that condemned the channel, accusing it of exploiting and stereotyping black children and families."

You'd think the social engineers would use a program like this to promote marriage, a teaching opportunity.

Advocating marriage between men and women is old hat, the new hat is gay marriage.