Rob from the middle class, give to the rich...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by fofumfee, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Heck, you're the expert in people not believing what you say.

#11     Jun 3, 2004
  2. Absolutely true - as far as the statistic goes. In absolute dollars paid, the richest few % pay the largest % of total tax dollars.

However, a factor missed by that simple (albeit correct) statistic is that the richest few % pay less % of their total income in income taxes than those in the more middle income range. That's probably the more salient point.

A reasonable flat tax (even if it's a 3 or 4 graduated levels) on all income with no deductions or credits or preferences to how you make or spend your money seems like would void most or all arguments.

#12     Jun 3, 2004
  3. OK, let me be the first (Guess I have to be a Dem now, huh?):

Michael Moore is a fringe whacko. I certainly do not see him as "mainstream" by any stretch of the imagination.

Peace,

:)RS

#13     Jun 3, 2004
  4. I'm not saying your statistics are wrong, only that I find them hard to believe unless you are including social security taxes. Most of the <50k earners pay little or nothing in income taxes. The AMT forces those above a fairly low threshold to pay approximately 25% of their taxable income, as defined by the AMT.

#14     Jun 3, 2004