Risk to reward ratio ??

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by niting, Aug 23, 2007.

1. niting

niting

What is the ideal risk to reward ratio successful traders are using. When i use 1:2, market gives me 1:3 but i end up taking 1:2. Then next time i use 1:3, market gives me only 1:2 and i end up taking a loss.

2. Depends on the system.

3. Longer-term trading should have a higher ratio. Shorter-term trading can have a lower ratio combined with higher trading frequency to maintain profitability.

4. I don't recommend using them unless you have in-depth statistics that tells you what type of ratio to use and when you should be using a different ratio for different types of market price action.

For example, maybe your trade signal statistics for the morning trading session shows that you should be using a 1:3 ratio.

However, maybe your trade signal statistics for the afternoon trading session shows that you should be using only a 1:2 ratio.

Throw in some volatility analysis for different types of volatility market conditions...

You could be using a completely different ratio for the morning and afternoon trading session.

The worst thing you can do is to randomly select a ratio without doing any type of statistical analysis to determine what's suitable for your particular trading signal.

By the way, my trading improved dramatically when I stopped using risk to reward ratios.

Mark
    (a.k.a. NihabaAshi) Japanese Candlestick term