Risk management practices to protect against fat finger mistakes

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by helpme_please, Jan 22, 2018.

1. southall

southall

The extra zero error risk can be minimized by keeping just enough account balance.
    With IB, say you have $100K USD, you can buy 30 ES futures but no way will IB let you buy 300 with a 100K account, they will reject your order.

Likewise 'mistake number of future contracts with number of shares'.
    That cant happen with IB for the same reason above. Yes IB could have a bug in their margin checking logic and let it through but i haven't seen this happen. If anything they are over conservative and trigger happy in rejecting orders when you get close to using up all your margin

Clicking buy instead of sell.
    I would agree, TWS is not the best order entry GUI, yes it is quite is easy to forget to change the BUY/SELL drop down from the default value. Perhaps use a different Front end for TWS that has big and distinct BUY/SELL buttons or write your own custom specialized GUI using the API.

Personally all my trading is automated so fat finger errors cant happen, however there can be bugs in my code. But at this point my order entry code base is quite stable and i rarely make changes to it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    #11     Jan 22, 2018
  2. Slow down a little bit. I still make a few of those errors (actually relatively lots lately being new to TWS), but I expect they'll decline as I get more familiar with some of the visual queues.

You can set up warnings for orders over a certain number of shares or dollar amount.

Check your position for how it will affect your margin balance. This is where I catch errors both in improper entry (buy vs. sell, number of shares, credit vs debit...) AND if my on-the-fly position size calculations were wrong.

And the best thing? Even in fast markets, this has made my trading better. Having to commit more than a minute to order entry also gives me time to slow down and reflect on the position while I'm going through the motions getting everything entered. Definitely backed away from some bad trades that would have screwed me with a hair-trigger buy/sell.

#12     Jan 22, 2018
  3. ajacobson

ajacobson

Use a broker that actually reads orders back to you. Think about the cost of a mistake versus higher commissions. If you don't want to use your broker's desk you can always default back to their e commerce platform.

#13     Jan 22, 2018
  4. JackRab

JackRab

I don't think those are fat finger mistakes... maybe the extra zeros. Volume can easily be controlled with IB's system. Just add a maximum global $-volume. Or a standard trade size in futures you regularly trade.

The rest is just because you're not paying attention. How can you mistake JPY for USD?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    #14     Jan 22, 2018
  5. sle

sle

I recall a day when one of the index arb guys at Bear Stearns traded 50k spooz MoCC instead of 50k SPYs MoC.

#15     Jan 22, 2018
  6. JackRab

JackRab

spooz as in the futures?

#16     Jan 22, 2018
  7. sle

sle

E-minis. The index was around 1k at the time, IIRC.

#17     Jan 22, 2018
  8. JackRab

JackRab

Ouch... no wonder they aren't around anymore...

#18     Jan 22, 2018
  9. Overnight

Overnight

A fat finger mistake can only "throw you and your family into poverty" if you do not cancel it right away. I made a fat finger mistake once, and immediately closed the position at a small loss. Lesson learned.

That lesson is all it took to make me more aware of what I was doing. Never made the mistake ever again.

It is not complicated, and doesn't require an entire thread to explain what to do.

If you make a fat-finger mistake, GTFO of your position immediately and go into repose for a few minutes/hours/whatever it takes for you to learn from it.

Case closed. End of line.

#19     Jan 22, 2018
    beerntrading and helpme_please like this.
  10. Thanks for all the replies. It seems fat-finger mistakes are inevitable from time to time.

One thing I do not agree is to use automation to replace humans in order to eliminate careless mistakes. If bugs happen, bankruptcy can happen very quickly. Remember Knight Capital? When humans make mistake, they can correct the mistake quickly assuming detection is done immediately. Losses will occur but not to the point of bankruptcy. When machines make mistakes, they keep repeating the same mistakes thousands of times in a split-second until the machine self-destructs.

#20     Jan 22, 2018