Rising wedge in SPX?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by DeepFried, Aug 28, 2006.

1. You are correct df.......looking for a downside breakout.
    :D

#21     Aug 28, 2006
  2. today we hit the exact high of 1307.50 on the sept es from last friday and backed off.i've been doing this 17 years and i just have a feeling of sucking all the sidelines money in and bamm dropping fast in the next few weeks. the complaceny is incredible and people don't know why we're rising and don't care. we've had more earnings warnings the last 4 weeks than we've had in the previous few years. earnings are topping no matter what rates or oil does. it's a bit dicy this week as traders are bored and they will try to spin all the economic news positive to sky us.

#22     Aug 28, 2006
  3. volente_00

volente_00

But we also made a higher high on cash today.

#23     Aug 28, 2006
  4. bsmeter

bsmeter

Rising nonesense?

this pattern is 50/50 at it's best

#24     Aug 28, 2006
  5. Well put. The housing market, rates, the slowing economy, the Mid-East - frigging Iran tested a sub launched missile a few days ago - nothing fazes the market and when I see this rising wedge and a few other things I start to wonder if we're due for a downdraft.

#25     Aug 29, 2006
  6. I guess one possible outcome from here would be busting through the old highs, then pulling back and building a base at the old high.

#26     Aug 29, 2006
  7. Or busting through and just keep om going
    All that nonsense is altready discounted.

#27     Aug 29, 2006
  8. I'm surprised I am the only one pointing this out.

A rising wedge is a continuation pattern. Continuation patterns require a previous trend or at least a solid momentum run.

1. The month of May has hardly been a definitive show of bearish dominance. 50 pts. at most, which is not all that amazing given this current climate.

2. That's not really continuing anything. The previous trend was a slow choppy channel upwards.

3. You're ignoring the peak at the start of June when you draw your wedge. That reveals you lack some basic understanding of the mechanics behind chart patterns. You're deliberately seeking the October low, rather than trying to read the chart for what it is.

Whether or not the market goes down is hard to determine. I am bullish, but I will not stick by it if I see a violation of 1260, myself. If the S&Ps break down soon, you cannot claim it's the realization of a bearish continuation pattern (upward wedge) if you're consistent with standard TA. You'll be rolling dice.

#28     Aug 29, 2006
  9. Dogbollocks, given your established history of semi-coherent gibberish and trollish behavior in general I'd appreciate it if you'd fuck on off this thread.

#29     Aug 29, 2006
  10. The fact is that many reversal patterns are nested, one being larger that the next.

We shall see.

#30     Aug 29, 2006