RIP George Carlin

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rtrader2525, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Is this some kind of joke? ... waiting for the punchline. Give him three more days. Then expect him to come back and say something like, "I saved the world, and all I got was this lousy shroud"! I extend George honorary membership in the First Church of the Last Laugh.

Jesus:D

#11     Jun 24, 2008
  2. jem

jem

Its strange that I do not mind speaking ill of the dead. But was he even funny the last decade.

I can't tell. Because he did make me laugh a few decades ago - I tuned into to his specials on cable.

All I saw were the rants of a pissed off old man. Sure some of his rants were accurate and made me think - which was his point, but I found that I could not watch for more than 20-30 minutes because I have my own rants. I wanted to see comedy. Was I just watching the wrong parts of his act?

#12     Jun 24, 2008
  3. Carlin was a great comedian, when he was a comedian. Like most comedians of our day, he ran out of fresh material and went for the easy buck doing angry political commentary.

#13     Jun 24, 2008
  4. hcour

hcour Guest

No jem, you're not wrong. When he was young he was hilarious and insightful, in middle-age he became just insightful but not so funny, and in his old age he was neither insightful nor funny.

But, when he was young, he was one of the greats...

Harold

#14     Jun 24, 2008
  5. 'i had no idea that he was 71 years old. That's what was very suprising to me

#15     Jun 24, 2008
  6. MGJ

MGJ

Have a look at the movie "The Aristocrats" from 2005 (IMDB link) in which,

One hundred superstar comedians tell the same very, VERY dirty, filthy joke--one shared privately by comics since Vaudeville

In my opinion, George Carlin's version was the funniest of them all. Not the filthiest (that would be Howie Mandel), not the most horrifyingly embarrassing (Sarah Silverman), not the most outrageous (Gilbert Gottfried), but the funniest by far. If you need a reminder that Carlin was hilarious even in his last years, rent this video. Just don't drink anything while viewing, else you will spray it out through your nose.

Listen for Carlin's explanation why his aim isn't so good any more.

#16     Jun 24, 2008
  7. All I saw were the rants of a pissed off old man. Sure some of his rants were accurate and made me think - which was his point, but I found that I could not watch for more than 20-30 minutes because I have my own rants.

--------------

lol. I like the part of "I have my own rants", me too. Maybe his rants weren't directed to us, they were directed to people who have no rants, maybe they thought he was funny.

#17     Jun 24, 2008
  8. Carlin was brilliant, and more so in his later years.

Why shouldn't he be pissed off?

If you're not pissed off, you don't get it.

And comedy comes in many flavors, his matured over the years and he stopped catering to the nitwits who just wanted something ha ha 'funny'.

#18     Jun 24, 2008
  9. I had rants once. Got some cheese, a few traps. Walla!!! My rants rent away.

#19     Jun 24, 2008
  10. jem

jem

now thats comedy

comedy is not telling me that the bankers are going to steal all my money by getting control of my deed.

Which in turn will be used as leverage to get us all to agree to one world currency. Which has been the rothschild plan every since they created the privately owned fed and that has been the plan of liberal interests for decades. They are intent turning us all into state workers for the rich and powerful.

I have some great ones the rift between protestants and catholics.
    Teachers unions
    gay marriage
    taxes
    redistribution of middle class wealth
    why did they teach us that oil is made from dinosaurs and other bio materials collecting in a pit.

That little chart we all saw in natural history museum showing monkeys stepping forward into man.

Why are they putting dumb kids in with the smart kids in school.

Why does every kid get a trophy.

Why are sports parents so brain washed as to always say - as long as they are having a good time? Note this comes out when they sort of wish the kids who were scoring soccer goals would pass more to the kids who cant dribble.

No - you fricken numbskull your kids has to work hard to excell at something so he builds an identity and a desire to succeed. You keep putting him out there to have a good time and you are going to have messed up high school kid on your hands.

By the way that last rant could have been delivered just like carlin. not funny but a rant.

#20     Jun 24, 2008