RIMM under valued ?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by DDmaster, Mar 6, 2012.

will it go up ?

1. yes

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. dont care /dont have a opinion

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. I like the no debt part of RIMM and also it is in a growing market. I will let you guys sort out the details.

ES

#11     Mar 6, 2012
  2. It is very undervalued, but you could be waiting a while, if you get into a long position, to see a profit.

#12     Mar 6, 2012
  3. Value trap.
    They are fast losing market share.
    Somewhere along the line, they may post a surprise loss, and the stock will plummet.

#13     Mar 6, 2012
  4. The company is rich with assets, but i agree with flip the declining market share is a pretty big deal. If they start missing on earnings then there's probably no hope. Who knows though.

#14     Mar 6, 2012
  5. Yes, they are cash rich, but research intensive. They are constantly behind Apple, Samsung, etc. so all that R&D money is going to trash.

Maybe if they liquidate the company and get close to book value, the company may be worth a few dollars more than $13.13 closing price today.

#15     Mar 6, 2012
  6. Yeah book value is around 18ish dollars. Depending on how you account for intangibles.

#16     Mar 7, 2012
  7. I heard they are "patent rich", if so how do we value that (as a buyout candidate) ?
    Stock is below book...
    New product line, last I saw is might actually be able to compete with you-know-whos, is due out soon
    Cash in bank
    Good PE
    Mass investors not interested
    Some recent big player accumulation

Sounds to me like it could be a good long term (5-10 year) risk for either a rebirth or buyout.....no ?

#17     May 18, 2012
  8. i doubt they even exist in 10 years. they have lost the market.

#18     May 18, 2012
  9. +1

#19     May 18, 2012
  10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I think there is good long term option value.

1. They can be bought out. They have good push technology and are in every corporation in the world.
    2. They might find a way to make a desirable phone. Apple won't stay on top forever and it's a pretty fickle industry. One year it was the brick phone. The next year it was the flip phone. The next year it was the black berry. The next year it was multi touch screens. Who knows what will be next.

#20     May 18, 2012