RIMM earnings

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by DataCruncher, Jun 25, 2008.

1. aresky

aresky

You are right . RIMM was priced for perfection.

``They're gearing up to battle with Apple,'' said Wilson, who is reviewing his ``market outperform'' rating on the stock. ``They're spending a lot of money on things like branding campaigns.''

The report marked Research In Motion's first earnings disappointment in five quarters. The stock had more than doubled in the past year as co-Chief Executive Officer James Balsillie expanded the BlackBerry's appeal to consumers through models such as the $99 Curve and Pearl.

Research In Motion fell as much as $15.86 to $126.48 in late trading after closing at $142.34 on the Nasdaq Stock Market. If that decline is repeated in regular trading, it will be the biggest fall since November 2004.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=avQIwSzjuP6A&refer=us

#41     Jun 26, 2008
  2. Jon, if you're looking for features, you can just as easily add Nokia's N95 or N82 and its open Symbian platform.

The reason Blackberry is entrenched deeply in businesses is because of support, stability, centrally controlled security (BES server security policies), integration with Exchange (wireless almost real-time sync of tasks, contacts, calendars, emails) and works almost like outlook where you can create meeting requests and invites using users in your organization.

iPhone isn't there. Jobs is a smart guy, they may get there, they may not. MS has been trying hard to get into the market with Exchange built-in (FREE) push email and yet, organizations still pay licenses to have BES servers installed.

No one does email like Blackberry does.

For regular joe blows, sure an iPhone will work.

Either way, I'm neither a big fan of RIMM nor AAPL. I don't want to hijack this thread any further.

#42     Jun 26, 2008
  3. Im open to the BB being better for strictly business, and the iphone being better for entertainment, but I think that if you had to have one to do both the iphone is better for business than the BB is for entertainment. FWIW check the attachment.

#43     Jun 26, 2008