Rimm Death Watch.

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by noob_trad3r, Dec 16, 2011.

1. jo0477

jo0477

RIMM may be the big player for now in the corp world but everyone I know who was forced to use a BB for work purposes complained bitterly (except for BBM, but your network needs peers to be BBM'ers for this to be useful). Most people are being allowed to switch to iphone or android (my favorite) as long as we fit the hardware bill - which I gladly did. With Ice Cream Sandwich rolling out on so many good handsets, I'm seeing poor RIMM having a tough time going forward.

FWIW - this is just an everyday observation, but I firmly believe that the word on the street is WAY ahead of the analysts.

#11     Dec 18, 2011
  2. ashatet

ashatet

Rimm is here to stay because of the advanced security that it gives to its users. The sales will go down substantially though. I think it could be purchased soon. I see 20 written all over it. And all tach companies are going to be bankrupt sooner or later. Please name tech companies that have survived for 100 years, very few come to mind.

#12     Dec 18, 2011
  3. I see 20 written all over it..............?

crap you never wanna own........airline, auto and obsolete tech

the mike and jimmy show is over.

the harvard talking head is pissed the hockey world won't let him play ( he is too short ) and the lab rat is delusional to think the rimm edge is still existing.

LIGHTS ON, NOBODY HOME.......

Rimm is toast.

the existing tech. can be sold to google et al. and then deep 6 the mfg. side.
    they can offer up a slice of pi for the patents, gotta luv these guys.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...nortel-patents-how-about-314159-billion.shtml

$3.14159

bbm is no excuse for the walking dead to continue.

start diggin' the hole....

an analyst has never put a nickel of his own $ on the line to trade squat.

a bunch of eunuchs.

cheers,

s

:cool:

#13     Dec 18, 2011
  4. ................................................

sys wiz,

the market is never wrong.......and you should know that..........:)

s

#14     Dec 18, 2011
  5. NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- When Apple(AAPL_) introduced the iPhone to the world in January 2007, Research In Motion(RIMM_) dismissed the device as a competitive threat, or so we would learn later.

Co-CEO Mike Lazaridis stated internally, according to reports, that no one would want the equivalent of a personal computer on a phone. People just wanted an email messaging device, he asserted -- a worldview shaped by the company he'd built.

But the death knell for RIM probably came earlier, on Oct. 5, 2006. That was the day the other RIM co-CEO, Jim Balsillie, bid $185 million to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins.

That bid began a childish, multiyear quest by Balsillie to buy a hockey team, which diverted his focus from the core RIM business. RIM's competitive position today is arguably unfixable because of Balsillie's quixotic quest.

Balsillie's bid for the Penguins ran from October to December 2006, when he finally withdrew his bid in frustration. But five months later, he announced he was going to buy the Nashville Predators instead.

Again, however, the bid was not to be. After the league fought it and the owner got cold feet, the deal was canceled a year later.

But Balsillie wouldn't let go of his dream. With a net worth much greater then than it is now, he made a $212.5 million offer to buy the Phoenix Coyotes in May 2009. This deal also got derailed several months later.

Did a hockey fantasy kill RIM? Wasn't Jim Balsillie working on his own time to spend his own money, which he has a right to do?

Well, you can call it a coincidence, but here are the numbers:

Since Balsillie's Oct. 5, 2006 bid for the Penguins, RIM's shares are down 16%.
    Over that same period, the Nasdaq is up 24%, and Apple -- riding the incredible success of its iPhone, which it turns out people did want -- has risen 358%.
    Maybe this would have happened anyway. Maybe Apple was just too strong and RIM's directors should shrug their shoulders and say, "Hey, it wasn't our fault because this is just a competitive business."

the 2 lads start to blow it out............right about here.........

s

:cool:

#15     Dec 18, 2011
  6. #16     Dec 18, 2011
  7. gobar

gobar

apple in 1999 = $5 verge of bankruptcy
    csco in 2001 = 600

market never wrong??

#17     Dec 18, 2011
  8. they were once fairly novel, now all I see from them is a range of desperate 'me too' products, it's a shame

#18     Dec 18, 2011
  9. RIM Co-CEOs to Critics: We’re Awesome and We’re Not Going Anywhere

JUNE 17, 2011 AT 4:35 AM PT

Research in Motion co-CEOs Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis have an answer for critics calling for their ouster, or at least the end of their power-sharing arrangement.

Take off, eh? We’re doing a great job.

During a bizarre earnings call Thursday, the two defended the company’s co-CEO structure essentially by praising one another and their accomplishments together, which, while considerable in the long view, are more than a bit lacking in the short term, as a quick glance at the company’s stock performance this year — or its moldering handset portfolio — will tell you.

“Mike and I would like to address some of the concerns that have been expressed surrounding the executive management structure at RIM and, specifically, the joint nature of our leadership,” Balsillie said. “Mike and I have been partners in this business for almost 20 years, and during that time RIM has grown to $20 billion in annual revenue. We are currently approaching the tail end of a significant transition in our business, that, frankly, few companies would have survived. But we have. And I believe, and I think Mike would agree, that neither of us could have taken RIM this far alone.”

“I agree with Jim’s comments,” Lazaridis added. “Our co-CEO arrangement is what led to RIM’s success over the past two decades.”
    That point is well taken; there’s no question the two are responsible for turning RIM into an industry juggernaut. But that’s ancient history now. These are very different times, and Balsillie’s implication that he and Lazaridis are the only two executives on the face of the planet capable of continuing RIM’s legacy seems … questionable.

‘”I expect to see the Maple Leafs win a Stanley Cup before RIM builds a number one phone.”
    – Bing Gordon, Kleiner Perkins

After all, it’s RIM’s strategic missteps that brought the company to this sorry state in the first place. And responsibility for those rests firmly with the co-CEOs, who clearly had their heads in the sand when Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android first began to emerge as a threat back in 2007.

Yet Balsillie and Lazaridis seem entirely oblivious to this. Certainly that was the appearance they gave during Thursday’s earnings call.

“Jim and I have the perfect balance to make the hard decisions,” Lazaridis said. “This is fun. … We’re changing the world. We’re transforming the way people work. … We birthed a tablet in a year! … We transitioned to a new operating system!”

The only thing more tiring — and frustrating — than listening to the company’s repeated “just you wait, our new device is a quantum leap over anything that’s out there” promises is hearing the two guys who make and then break them congratulate each another on what a fantastic job they’re doing navigating a transition they didn’t have the foresight to prepare for — or see.

That they did this while their stock was tanking — falling some 15 percent as investors reacted to their company’s ugly financials — is simply astonishing.
    “RIM has taken a unique path and the reason why we do things might not always be obvious from the outside,” Lazaridis said at one point during the call.
    At this point, I wonder if it’s obvious to anyone but RIM’s co-CEOs.

‘”I expect to see the Maple Leafs win a Stanley Cup before RIM builds a number one phone.”

– Bing Gordon, Kleiner Perkin

RIP............

s

#19     Dec 18, 2011
  10. RIM Co-CEOs to Critics: We’re Awesome and We’re Not Going Anywhere.......

the dudes.

s

#20     Dec 18, 2011