RightEdge vs. QuantDeveloper

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by polr_trader, Oct 8, 2006.

1. squeeze

squeeze

Not quite sure who will buy it then as last time I looked it was very retail focused.

It would need a lot of work done to it to compete with the best institutional platforms.
    It didn't even support any of the standard institutional feeds. :p

NotSoSmartQuant is more like it.

#21     Nov 23, 2006
  2. RE has said pricing will be in the range of $600 one time fee (plus free upgrades for a period?)

Market is starting to get a little crowded:

Amibroker $229 professional
    Wealthlab - I forget the price.
    TraderStudio - ditto
    Neoticker: circa $1200 for realtime?
    QuantDeveloper used to be $600 now $$$

Not to mention all of the automation tools for e.g. TradeBolt, Trade Bullet.

Did I forget Tradestation and Tradestation clones?

For new entries into the market, you'd have to have all of the features of Amibroker to charge more than a $300 one time fee in my opinion or have a USP that the competition cannot easily duplicate. That's quite a high hurdle.

For a monthly subscription model, regular software updates are warranted. I personally loathe montly subscriptions.

Worse still, I hate per transaction costs used by TradeBolt and others.

Market size is likely to grow significantly over the next five years but I suspect market share up for grabs is quite small outside of the Tradestation, Wealthlab etc. segments.

Naturally I'd prefer if knowlegeable people here pooled ideas to work on an open source initiative that kicked all commercial offerings butts.

#22     Nov 23, 2006
  3. SmartQuant supports FIX via QuickFIX. There doesn't seem to be anything precluding the addition of other adapters to support required feeds.

What software do you use and with which feeds?

#23     Nov 23, 2006
  4. I think I see where you're going with this. I didn't realize you were affiliated with QD.

It seems you are considering a separate, perhaps cutdown version of QD specifically for the retail market. Not a bad idea.

#24     Nov 23, 2006
  5. The big key to the success of any platform isn't that it is open source - it's that it develops a large community of people using it.

TradersStudio (which is $599, btw, used to be $499) is a very interesting product, but I'm a bit frustrated by the lack of community. I know Murray is working on this issue - but to me it is critical to the success of the product. The product is a little rough vs. SmartQuant imho, but it is also a bargain. Tradersstudio also has some features that are very unique - such as the ability to deal with unique issues associated with stock splits relative to system trading. Their optimization is fairly simple at the moment but I'm sure that will be increased/improved.

RE is an interesting product and seems to be developing a good community - to me, this is the key for whether or not it will be successful. But the developers are great - very responsive, very thoughtful. If they add a portfolio level to the application, they will have a strong product. They are going to include a level of optimization for the 1.0 release, but I expect it to be fairly simple.

Tradestation has a very strong community, despite the fact that the product is relatively primitive in term programming model/structure. Not that you can't do amazing things in TS, but it lacks portfolio-level constructs. I expect they'll add them - but they don't have them presently. They also charge quite a bit for their platform if you don't have a brokerage account ($300+/month or over $3k a year). If you have a brokerage account, you can reduce that to around $1k a year (or $0 if you can met the minimum trades - not hard but not a guarantee). Lastly, their brokerage operation makes most of their money off of the lack of interest they pay on cash in the account - never a good sign. On the other hand, that great community means you have access to add ons like genetic algorithms, etc.

Wealth-lab has a fantastic community - but being a Fidelity product, I can't buy into it. Also, as far as I know, they don't support futures (but I could easily be wrong - people have comments on this?)

SmartQuant has a polished interface, although they have a strange split between the two types of systems development templates that doesn't make any sense to me. It is very expensive - I had not heard that they weren't doing retail anymore, so that make take it out of contention. I do like their object-based model - works very well. I can't really comment on the community but support seems pretty good.

TradingBlox: I don't like using a custom language, but TradingBlox has an excellent community. This has a lot to do with the fact that they have a forum that is about systems development rather than necessarily about TradingBlox. So they've got a strong community. The software, if you want to make it truly programmatic, is very expensive, but it also very capable.

There are a host of others that I haven't checked out:
    - Neoticker: heard it is very good but hard to use.
    - Amibroker: seemed nice to me but I couldn't find portfolio-level tools.
    - NeedForTrade: the free version of their software (Lite) is pretty darn good. But they are not encouraging a community at the moment. Their use of C# as a programming language certainly makes things interesting. I will also be keeping an eye on these guys.
    - TradeSignals: as I mentioned earlier, I'm keeping an eye on these guys.

In my opinion, if InteractiveBrokers would dump their current java charts, buy a company like RE or NeedforTrade and give away the software (charge for feeds), they would own the market completely in about 20 minutes. They would almostly instantly have a large community, and if they picked a product that used a standard language like C#, then people would just flock to them. But I am, of course, not in business development at Interactive Brokers.

Let me know if I'm missing features on these products - I've spent some time on them but I'm certainly not an expert on all of them.

#25     Nov 23, 2006
  6. segv

segv

I wonder if RightEdge realizes their user registration system is still broken.

--segv

#26     Nov 23, 2006
  7. What's wrong with it? It worked for me just fine.

#27     Nov 23, 2006
  8. segv

segv

When I attempt to register as a user, I get a server error about remote permissions for the script. This happens for user registration, password retrieval, and feedback forms.

--segv

#28     Nov 23, 2006
  9. Weird, I get none of this. So is their stuff broken or yours? :p

Seriously though, would probably be nice if maybe you let them know your configuration and maybe they can figure out what's going on. I have a direct contact there, you can PM and I'll give you his email address.

#29     Nov 23, 2006
  10. segv

segv

The text of the server-side error:

#30     Nov 23, 2006