Right up there with Reagan's "I don't remember"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Blackwell reports embarrassing buy of Diebold stock

Rivals pounce on controversy over accidental share purchase

Tuesday, April 04, 2006
    Sandy Theis
    Plain Dealer Bureau Chief

Columbus -Secretary of State Ken Blackwell made an embarrassing announcement Monday: He accidentally bought stock in Diebold Inc., a voting machine maker that benefited from decisions made by his office.

In a required filing with the Ohio Ethics Commission, the GOP gubernatorial hopeful said his hefty portfolio included 178 shares of Diebold stock, which sold for a loss.

"While I was unaware of this stock in my portfolio, its mere presence may be viewed as a conflict," Blackwell wrote in a letter that accompanies his annual financial disclosure statement.

As the Blackwell camp attempted to downplay the controversy, rivals from both parties pounced.

Blackwell "has a pretty unique history with this company," said Bob Paduchik, spokesman for Attorney General Jim Petro, who is also seeking the GOP nomination for governor. "This should be investigated."

Blackwell spokesman Carlo LoParo called the request for an investigation "absurd" and said county boards of election determine which machines to use.

In his duties as secretary of state, however, Blackwell's staff narrowed the list of companies eligible to replace Ohio's antiquated voting equipment with more modern technology. The Green-based Diebold made the cut, and a rival firm accused Blackwell of improperly favoring the Ohio company.

Diebold also drew the ire of critics after then-CEO Wally O'Dell sent a fund-raising letter in which he committed to deliver Ohio's electoral votes to President Bush in 2004.

LoParo maintains that Diebold's machines are safe and reliable and he described Blackwell's Diebold holdings as an honest mistake.

According to Blackwell's letter, he does not approve individual stock selections but has instructed his money managers to avoid all conflicts of interest.

"Those instructions were not followed by the new financial manager" that took over the account last year, he said. This unidentified woman bought 178 shares of Diebold at $53.67 per share in January 2005, then sold 95 of them for a loss of $15.68 per share.

On Saturday, while reviewing his annual ethics filing, Blackwell said he learned that he owned the remaining 83 shares and also sold them for a loss.

Ohio Democratic Party spokesman Brian Rothenberg could hardly contain his glee.

"If Ken Blackwell didn't know how his own money was being spent, why would the people of Ohio think he would be a good steward of their checkbook?"

2. and "I smoked it but didn't inhale"

3. oh and don't forget...

"MISSION ACCOMPLISHED"

and the ever popular.....

"THE IRAQI PEOPLE WILL PAY FOR THEIR FREEDOM WITH THEIR OWN OIL.."

or the favorite of some...

"SADAM HAS WEAPONS OF MASS DESCRUCTION AND HE MUST BE BROUGHT TO JUSTICE BECAUSE OF IT..."

4. Pabst

Pabst

Blackwell owned a whopping $900 worth of that stock. Can you imagine if it had quadrupled! What a scandal.

5. Yet another in the painfully long line of worthless Z10 threads.

6. Simply amazing that you don't have the inner strength it takes to click on an ignore button......

7. Ricter

Ricter

He doesn't have the IQ.

8. Simply amazing that you have nothing better to do than to post 10781 times in less than two years.

9. I would be shocked if an inbred woodsman like you ever even took an IQ test.

10. You are such an obsessed stalker you even keep track of the number of posts....

Man, full on pathetic......who the hell pays attention to the number of posts someone has?

The only way to describe Longhorns:

Longhorns described:

#10     Apr 4, 2006