Rick Sanchez Fired By CNN

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JamesL, Oct 1, 2010.

1. JamesL

JamesL

CNN fired anchor Rick Sanchez on Friday after a radio rant that took aim at Jon Stewart, Jews and his bosses at the cable network.

"Rick Sanchez is no longer with the company," network officials said in a two line statement. "We thank Rick for his years of service and we wish him well."

Until Friday, Sanchez had been an outspoken daytime anchor. He also recently sat at the desk at 8 p.m. after Campbell Brown exited the network.

Sanchez did himself in during an appearance Thursday on Pete Dominick's Sirius XM Radio show to promote his book, "Conventional Idiocy."

Sanchez, who joined CNN in 2004, claimed an unnamed boss compared him to ABC's John Quinones and told him he wasn't anchor material.

"Cause in his mind I can't be an anchor," Sanchez said in a transcript posted at Thewrap.com. "An anchor is what you give the high-profile white guys, you know. So he knocks me down to that and compares me to that, and it happens all the time I think."

He also called Comedy Central's Jon Stewart a "bigot," eventually deciding that he is just "prejudicial."
    Sanchez said Stewart - who grew up in New Jersey - couldn't understand Sanchez' hardscrabble upbringing.

Dominick challenged Sanchez comments, suggesting Jews have also experienced discrimination.

"Yeah, very powerless people," Sanchez said, laughing. "He's such a minority. I mean, you know, please. What are you kidding? I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart. And to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority?"

Sanchez' firing comes after a whirlwind of activity at the ratings-challenged news network.

A week ago, CNN US president Jon Klein was replaced by HLN head Ken Jautz. Earlier this week, anchor Anderson Cooper signed a contract extension and a deal to host a syndicated talk show. And next week, the network launches "Parker Spitzer" a new 8 p.m. show hosted by Eliot Spitzer and Kathleen Parker.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...on_stewart_jews_in_the_med.html#ixzz11AAcOun2

2. lesson: don't f with Jon Stewart. Ask Tucker Carlson. Also ask I'd like to know who is powerless, Rick Sanchez, or the guy he struck and killed with his car in Miami while driving drunk after an NFL football game in 1990. Sanchez fled the scene, returned later but served no jail time and did not have to pay any restitution. Sanchez is a hypocrite.

Jeffrey Smuzinick: The Forgotten Man

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/1991-08-07/news/the-forgotten-man/

3. EON Kid

EON Kid

What a load of BS, to get fired for that. Sends a message out to all the anchors.

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Never heard of him, but then I don't watch CNN either.

5. Picaso

Picaso

Sanchez was Klein's boy. This Stewart thing is just an excuse to get rid of one of Klein's people who was getting to big for his shoes anyway.