Richard Dennis and Turtles In Chicago Tuesday

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Trend Following, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Sushi

Sushi

proof please. There ain't anyother than rumors that turtles existed. I'm a turtle deniar

proof!

#51     Jun 27, 2009
  2. did he have to pay it all back after the lawsuit?

:D

#52     Jun 27, 2009
  3. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

All one elaborate ruse over 25 years?

#53     Jun 27, 2009
  4. funny this comes up. i often thought that it was some kind of marketing ploy as i have never seen any proof other than hearsay and questionable evidence--from the players themselves.

no offense meant, but what i have seen is shaky

surf

#54     Jun 27, 2009
  5. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

If one dives into my book ("<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0061241717/trendfollowin-20">The Complete TurtleTrader</a>") on the subject, absorbs every word, reads the end notes, looks at the performance data, notes the CFTC filed disclosure documents over the last 25 years, and comes to the conclusion that it never happened...well...I don't have much more I can add!

#55     Jun 27, 2009

6. obviously i am not questioning that these traders existed, traded or their success or lack of success. simply questioning if the turtle experiment actually took place at all and/or in the manner in which it has been reported.

surf

#56     Jun 27, 2009
  7. The part that you seem either unwilling or unable to comprehend is that VN's risk adjusted return leaves much to be desired. Did you catch that, surf? Risk adjusted return. Leaving much to be desired.

Accepting risk is one thing. Accepting multiple blowups as a matter of course is quite another. Retrospectively, it is clear just how unacceptably deep the water was when he was making money. The numbers were only impressive when he was making money if you didn't look down. As Buffett once said, “Only when the tide goes out do you find out who is not wearing a bathing suit.”

How challenging it must be for you, operating without a clue. :p

#57     Jun 27, 2009
  8. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

I am the one who has done the most comprehensive "reporting" on it. It's all in 80,000 words. If you got an angle to counter, let's hear it!

#58     Jun 27, 2009

9. no doubt. how about some hard proof other than he said/she said that the experiment took place. the burden rests with the one who makes the claims not the skeptic.

best,

surf:D

#59     Jun 27, 2009

10. im not following your point. professional hedge fund investors choose to invest into the strategy, for anyone to question these investors not understanding the risk is ludicrous. believe it or not, there are those WHO LIKE TO TAKE RISKS with their money who actually have large sums of it. unlike the typical retired accountant we find on elite,

surf

#60     Jun 27, 2009