Richard Dennis and Turtles In Chicago Tuesday

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Trend Following, Jun 24, 2009.

1. EPrado

EPrado

Yes......and has blown out twice using a strategy that 1000's of people use. For such a smart guy he sure doesn't think outside the box much. Selling equity index puts....realllllllllllllllllll original.

Wonder if he will comeback and make an attempt of winning the triple crown of blowing out. He has won the first two legs.

#21     Jun 25, 2009
  2. Trend Following

Trend Following Sponsor

He did not say the other day. It is worth noting that Dennis and V. Niederhoffer both have blown out several times, but both have successful students who have been around a long time doing well for clients.

#22     Jun 25, 2009
  3. I guess you didn't know that Roy 's fund use breakouts and mometum strategies (a more acadamic phase for trend following), so I guess you are saying Roy has NO edge and he and his success is just another example of survivor bias. Talking about survivor bias, in 20 years time, when no one remembers Victor, I guess his blowup will contribute to survivor bias ..

Thanks for reminding us about Victor and how he blew up once in awhile so that we won't fall prey to survivor bias. Is he paying you to reengineer his image?

#23     Jun 25, 2009
  4. may be it takes 30 blewup to make it statiscally significant? I wonder how many times Victor have to blew up b4 MarketSurfer will finally stop to kiss his ass..I bet it will take much more than 30, there seem to be something beyond camradarie and friendship going on here...pretty kinky stuff... Surf, are u ready to come out of the closet?

#24     Jun 25, 2009

5. In regards to your "simple" example, it's the magnitude not frequency that matters, dumbass, how many times do we need to bang this into your head...Instead of these simple example, go do a search on mean-variance ratio or hurst exponent...

#25     Jun 25, 2009

6. i guess you don't know Roy credits Vic with much of his market knowledge. break out work? oh really.......

by the way, VN has made more over time for his clients than he has lost in both blow outs.....

surf

#26     Jun 25, 2009
  7. Jem,

With 5200 posts under your belt, how much time do you devote to trading and what does your P&L look like? Is trading your sole means of support or do you have a primary job at 7/11 and you spend most of your time here criticizing your betters? It's easy to criticize people who have actually done something more than sitting in their mother's basement writing tomes to ET.

Criticizing Vic is easy when you're either no trader, a paper trader or just trade 1 lots. I don't know you, but I do know Victor very well, and he's a better trader than me(and I'm pretty good over 30 years), and I'll lay 7 to 5 that he's a better trader than you. You waste your time making 5000+ posts on ET while Vic is glued to the screen, trading.......you make the call.

#27     Jun 25, 2009

8. this is libelous or simply total ignorance---- posted by an intelligent guy, therefore this statement designed as a question must be assumed its purpose is to disparage and cast dispersions, but that is not the topic here,,,,

your saying that institutions and professional hedge fund investors don't understand risk? seriously, how moronic can one be??

regards, surf

#28     Jun 25, 2009
  9. jem

jem

I noticed you did try to give me a third option - you just dodged the question and questioned the trading prowess of the messenger.

Lets just say I traded full time and made a good living for a single guy for 5 or 7 years.

I am still profitable but I do not make a living trading. (and my expenses are a lot higher since I have 3 kids and a wife) (my account also took some large real estate loses. )

I therefore am back working full time and trading part time.

Regarding my trading bona fides. That are those of a profitable daytrader and swing traders who traded a few million shares a month. Nothing mind blowing but legit.

If you know surf you can have him check in with some of his former tradingmarkets author friends.

I traded with 4 of them.

#29     Jun 25, 2009
  10. Who, specifically?

Why can't you make a living trading with a wife and 3 kids? I support 13 people with my trading, and it doesn't bother me too much? Perhaps your self doubt is too much, or you lack confidence in your abilities......

#30     Jun 25, 2009