Rich Dad, Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money

Discussion in 'Economics' started by -ooO-(GoldTrade, Jan 30, 2004.

1. 99 percent of americans and in fact people in the world need cash flow not feel-goody, pipe-dreams that most books offer.
    That is the reason I am hanging out on this board cause you all want what the whole world wants "CASH FLOW" day in day out.
    Sadly no one has a tangible solution to cash flow - hell even in my consulting I tell people I can help you with your trading strategy but I can't help you from this week to next week. "That's is your problem" I say.
    Mr. Kioshaky offers ZERO, NADA in the areas of this problem. That's why I think he and tons of other books are BS.

#11     Feb 4, 2004
  2. I rarely post reviews.
    I am reading this book due to this thread (and lack of books I feel like reading this one sounded decent, what I needed).
    I feel the message of the book is great. I like the anologies he uses, and I can say, that it will change my outlook on money forever, for the better.
    I dont believe this guy is as successful as he says, and that he had a "rich dad". At first reading, the first few pages, his reference to two dads made me wonder about his fathers sexual preference and how they pulled it off in the 50s and 60s!
    Anyway, i dont believe there was a rich dad. Its ok, because if it is fiction, he still does convey his message.

Now, for the biggest downside. He addresses all of the problems with our flawed view points on money, but just leaves you there. He is a big proponent of gaining wealth through Stocks / Real Estate (he even suggests against starting a business). Thats fine, but dont expect any details / technicals on how to do it.
    Again, he makes it sound easy to just buy a stock / land and expect to get rich.
    Mostly, this book is really finance 101. I needed it, and I think the book was worth it, but there is much work to be done after reading this, in terms of researching Real estate (which i plan to do).

#12     Feb 4, 2004
  3. aradiel

aradiel

Damn you beat me to it (not that I was going to call him a complete BSer, I just was going to post the same site)

I like this part the most:

oh and also this one :D

#13     Feb 4, 2004
  4. BGB

BGB

I haven't even read the other posts on this subject but felt the urge to reply as soon as I saw the title.
    The fact that this book is a bestseller shows the mentality of our general public. The book started with a good hook and has a good general premise but could have been conveyed in about 5 pages. I felt like I was reading a massive run-on sentence intended for ages 10-18.
    I like and agree with his overall outlook but I believe the majority of his conjecture (especially reference to himself) is BS. He seems to like to spend more money than his ASSETS accrue. This guy is obviously a great salesman and likes to talk about the wealth he's amassed but doesn't seem to ever divulge any details.
    All in all,it's a great RAH RAH presentation and actually made me want to go ahead and start my own fund now, but it lacked depth.

#14     Feb 4, 2004
  5. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

There are a lot of people that think they need all these toys to impress people. My read on them is that they are completely insecure in their own abilities and thus need to show all their wealth to others to maintain their self-confidence.

... Not a slow train wreck but a heck of a lot of wasted money that could be invested...

As for the "Rich Dad" series .... I have used it for beginning high school students and junior high school students as an after school study topic. IMHO this is the target age for these publications.

#15     Feb 4, 2004
  6. canuck

canuck

i agree that this book is short on details and heavy on the 'ideas' of creating wealth. I don't think that it's such a bad thing considering the number of people who spend every cent they have. But this book, and there are many others like it, are just the beginning. This book and all of the other books out there are just the first step.

There is not ONE book out there that can solve all of your problems. If there was a book on making easy money, than no one would every need to work.

Can you make money in real estate? Yes, not always. Can you make money in stocks? Yes, but not always. Can you make money running a business, yes but not always. These are true statements and I think if anyone reads a book that tells you exactly how to start a business and get rich than they are fooling themselves.

I think if a simple book, not just RK's books, makes someone think again about buying a new car or moving to a bigger house and instead investing that money in something that might make them income than the book is a success.

#16     Feb 5, 2004
  7. Ninja

Ninja

Well said.

#17     Feb 5, 2004
  8. Mecro

Mecro

Read that about a year ago along with the book.

Once again, John Treed focuses on minute details with a lot of nitpicking. He completely refuses to take a big general look at the book. Kyosaki never stated that everyone should do real estate. It's just something he is familiar with. I read his book but I did not have a sudden urge to do real estate. But then, I'm not a total moron.

As for John Treed, he has a hidden agenda to sell his own real estate books which he just cannot market. His books are very boring and in all honesty, if he is so damn smart and profitable in real estate why is he sharing all his techniques? He comes off as such a bitter and jealous man. Why does he even care?

Bottom line, stop looking at minute details and look at the big message. Kyosaki's books are not expensive, simple to read and bring forward a common sense but valuable message.

#18     Feb 5, 2004
  9. niravmd

niravmd

gotta thank kiyosaki for getting me started in options and real estate. he more of a motivational speaker though.
    and john t reed is just bitter that he isnt as famous as some other guys. and his attacks against russ whitney are personal and not very helpful.
    3 years ago i used to listen to reed but now i think he's a moron.

#19     Feb 5, 2004
  10. For the record....real estate and stocks are not the only way to have passive income.....at least not in my book.

#20     Feb 23, 2004