Rich Dad Poor Dad Book - PURE SNAKE OIL ?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by aradiel, Jun 6, 2003.

1. aradiel

aradiel

Also for the ones who think it may be just misquotes resulted from a conspiracy against RK, I suggest you to take a look at The Honolulu Star Bulletin—the newspaper where Kiyosaki grew up—. That newspapper wrote a puff piece about him.

http://starbulletin.com/2000/07/10/features/story1.html

#11     Jun 6, 2003
  2. So you guys are saying he's one of these people that make money by tying to tell others how to become rich? He may have become a little greedy and have gained some ulterior motives as his career progressed, but his main theme is true and can't be changed- which may take some time for the average reader to understand.

triple

#12     Jun 6, 2003
  3. trdrmac

trdrmac

i really like john reed's site to read up on gurus that pass through town. he also has an interesting section on Russ Whitney and some of his dealings. If nothing else it makes a good read.

I have read several RD/PD books, some of Wade Cooks stuff and some Robert Allen, et. al.. The enjoyment of being motivated is certainly worth something. I was a poor __ ___ ___, made a mint, lost it all, discovered ____ and made another mint. All in all it is something I like to break up my serious reading.

What I take exception with is the lack of accurate information and disclosure of risk in many of these books. And the cost of many of these seminars is more than many attendees can really afford to be paying.

For instance, 50% of AMWAY/QUiXITAR'S revenue comes from the sale of motivational stuff to members. This is one of the organizations that put RK on the map.

All that said, many people just want to believe. Look at the reviews on Amazon of RK. Even with the hype posters being discounted, how many negative reviews are rated as helpful? People don't want to work hard, they want a savior.

#13     Jun 6, 2003
  4. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

... These types of books have a common trait: they are outlines for a business with all of the important details ommitted.

I have used a couple of these books in the following way: I gave a couple of them to a family friends kid who is just about to start high school. We use them for research and discussion - that is all the missing details which the kid then uses for research points. This seems to be a proper use of the books. For a kid just starting to learn finance and business they are at least approachable ....

#14     Jun 6, 2003
  5. aradiel

aradiel

yea I would agree if it wasnt for all that bunch of wrong advices incluided in the book (according to John)

#15     Jun 6, 2003
  6. jester

jester Guest

funny this guy "Rich dad poor dad" was just on our local radio station (KGO in SF) pimping his book......I actually took the time to go to his web-site and check it out, it was so confusing and chaotic I immediately justy left,ves what my gutt told me, unfortunatly he is not the first fake guru around....

J-

#16     Jun 6, 2003
  7. sempai

sempai

#17     Jun 6, 2003
  8. sempai

sempai

I especially like the section on words to watch out for:

Use of the following words.

These words are dishonest because they depict a degree of ease or exclusivity or certainty or absence of risk or amount of profit which does not exist. They are fraud at worst and puffing at best. Puffing is a legal term. Black’s Law Dictionary defines it as “Exaggeration by a salesperson concerning quality of goods.” If the guru you are considering uses any of these words or phrases in his or her presentation, brochures or Web site, he or she is a B.S. artist.

· perfect offer
    · confidential
    · sure-fire
    · removes doubts
    · secret (if it ever was a secret, it stopped being one when he sold the first copy)
    · cinch
    · always
    · lazy way
    · anyone can make a killing
    · removes risk
    · easy money
    · easily determine market value
    · air-tight
    · take the fear out
    · risk-free
    · judgment proof
    · insider
    · painless
    · fool-proof
    · safe
    · win/win
    · removes guesswork
    · easy
    · magic
    · bulletproof
    · gold mine
    · complete
    • riches
    · This is not a get-rich-quick scheme
    · automatic
    • dream stealer

The following words seem neutral, but for some reason they are used especially heavily by B.S. artists. Be suspicious of anyone who uses these words a lot or uses one very prominently, like in the name of their company or product.

· wealth
    · nothing down
    · cookie cutter
    · global (unless they are in the international shipping or moving business)
    · pro
    · creative
    · money machine
    · wiz
    · program
    · Hawaii
    · success
    · quick
    · offshore
    · foreign
    · boot camp
    · course
    · discount
    · fortune

#18     Jun 6, 2003
  9. Don't forget the newest twist. It's not a get rich quick scheme, that doesn't work. Its a get rich slowly plan.

#19     Jun 6, 2003
  10. trdrmac

trdrmac

Puffy the Dream Stealer....

Next thing you know he's going to be pushing hard work and due diligence.

:cool:

#20     Jun 6, 2003