Rich Americans buying Euro soccer teams.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Debaser82, Apr 17, 2011.

1. afto

afto

Most of the people that run football clubs in Europe are as bad as the politicians, ie they've found it's far easier to borrow today in order to get short term success rather than run the club/country in a proper long term fashion.

And that about sums it up..... whether we're talking about football clubs or Willy Wonka factories. Short term profit at the expense of long term devaluation

What next...religion ;-)

JMO

#31     Apr 20, 2011
  2. Isn't that what I said...
    I did not elaborate HOW they end up with money... The point is, money doesn't by the title by definition. Numerous examples of overpaid teams that didn't achieve anything.
    But again, game wise, Barca (and Real getting better) right now, nothing else even close...

+1
    Couldn't agree more... It's just an overall disaster in management thinking. Don't get me started.
    I still like the ownership type (by club members), but obviously any way you go there are potential issues. In case of single owner, you are susceptible to obsessions of one man and in the case of large group, you have an individual voices drowned in crowd apathy.

While I tentatively agree with latter, the first sentence is largely a myth. Most (not all) did not work hard, especially not the Chelsea owner. Which might explain why such owners tend to make so many mistakes, i.e. being outside of their narrow business skills or not having one to start with.

#32     Apr 20, 2011
  3. afto

afto

An interesting analogy.
    On the one hand we have politicians, who promise the moon just to win or maintain office.
    Then we have the takeover artists
    that pump borrowed money into clubs, often promising to buy star players and win trophies for the fans.

In both instances the electorate and the fans might also want to look at themselves in the mirror.

In the case of the fans, they need to realize that whether or not the new owners bring them the goods (and lets face it there are only a limited number of trophies to shoot for) that the nouveau rich money coming into the clubs is likely to result in higher ticket prices for everyone and possibly the eventual destruction of the game.
    Even the most die hard fans usually would not want to see one of their historical rivals disappear. Its more fun beating them on a football field then seeing them carted off to administration.

As for the electorate, I just wish there was a check box for "none of the above"!

JMO

#33     Apr 20, 2011
  4. No Surprise guys.

The game is now "GLOBAL MARKETS". GLOBAL INVESTMENTS and not just straight US investments, stocks, bonds or "Sports Teams".

Get with the new game, adapt and make money. PERIOD.

THE US is not out of the game, we are just no longer Team Capitan for the time being.

#34     Apr 20, 2011
  5. Excellent analogy!

With China, Brazil and India as up and coming economies, the US is the old man on the field. Don't mind my saying but I think the US will leave with a bang. Like Zenedine Zidane in 2006.

#35     Apr 20, 2011
  6. #36     Apr 21, 2011
  7. afto

afto

Debaser:
    It leaves no other option open than it being mostly a prestige thing.

In some cases that might be one of the reasons - if not just a tax write off - but when we're looking at the title of this thread (Rich Americans buying Euro soccer teams) then I have to disagree.

The Glaziers, Lerner and Kroenke all own/part own other sports franchises therefore this wouldn't appear to be a sudden flight of fancy on their part.
    Clearly, they're in it to make a buck. Nothing wrong with that and maybe they sincerely believe that by bringing investment and new stadiums etc to these clubs then the supporters will also benefit.
    But lets call a spade a spade. Its about the money.
    JMO

#37     Apr 21, 2011
  8. Welcome to the 14th edition of the Deloitte Football Money League, in which we profile the highest earning clubs in the world’s most popular sport. The Money League is published nine months after the end of the 2009/10 season, and is therefore the most contemporary and reliable analysis of clubs’ relative financial performance.

http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/...deloitte-football-money-league-2011/index.htm

#38     Apr 21, 2011
  9. The latest from the British tabloids.

Manchester City, owned by Middle east oil Billionaires want to buy Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid.

They offer a 260 million USD transfer fee

and a year salary of 35 million USD for the player.

:p

That's like a half a Billion USD deal in total.

I thought peak oil was upon us....

#39     Jun 12, 2011
  10. Samuel Eto'o can earn 40 milion Dollar a year in Anzhi Makhachkala, Russia.

He is still thinking about taking the offer or not...:p

#40     Aug 10, 2011