RIAA Wants Gov. to Delete Your Illegal Downloads

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by pupu, Apr 15, 2010.

1. pupu

pupu

2. Eh........they're not ON my hard drives! MP3's converted to WAV's then burned to CD.

Thank you WinMx, thank you Lime Wire and thank you Napster (for being a trailblazer). Given all the bullshit taxes I pay, I have little conscience for copyright infringment of dead artists. And artists they were. And dead they are.

LOL. Built a whole hard bop jazz library for the price of a few spindles.

Come and get 'em. Make sure you have a warrant.

3. I'm missing the connection between the two...

4. Ah, another cute one-liner.

That's not all you're missing.

I was referring to copyright infringement from a monetary standpoint rather than ethical one. Affects the record companies not the artists. And I paid plenty of moola to record companies over the years (and in turn royalties to LIVE artists) as well as a myriad of taxes. Translation, not exactly getting something for nothing. Call it a deferral.

What about you big boy? That's one helluva original moniker. HOW did YOU ever think that up?

5. So shoplifting would be OK too, since it improves your "monetary" situation? I'm just trying to understand...

6. NO you're not. You're toying with me. Or.........maybe trying to provoke me.

I used the phrase "hard bop" jazz. That's era than ended about 45 to 50 years ago. I personally deem music of that vintage to be "in the public domain". Assuming record companies pay correct royalities a half century after their outlays, YES, dead artists HEIRS may be denied a quite small portion of what I would otherwise spend but you can't lose what you never had. See, I can use loose analogies too.

IF something was broadcast on the radio (not to be confused with subscribed satellite radio), and I taped that, would that also be ........eh..........shoplifting?

I don't pilfer from alive artists. Lady Gaga has nothing to worry about with respect to me, but I have no doubt her artistic output is downloaded in droves.

You also neglected to answer my simple inquiry about your moniker. That's OK, I won't lose any sleep.

Lastly, concerning failing to see (not to be confused with white canes and German sherpherds), I'm failing to see how the RIAA, or downloading in general has anything whatsoever to do with TRADING. I'm.........eh.........just trying to understand.

7. So if you held the copyright/patent to something your parent did, it is ok for every else to personally deem your possession as "in the public domain". and use it in spite of your legal rights?

If your house was more than 40 years old, it would be right for others to declare it as "in the public domain" and come by and strip off your siding, windows, roofing, etc.?

Also, they could take any antiques you own (including cars, especially since they used to belong to someone who is now dead)? And chop down any trees over 40/50 years old on your property for firewood?

And since any land under any property you own is likely over that age (perhaps the land of your ancestors now dead), others can come in and build their own house on your land, because "in the public domain" ?

8. jprad

jprad

Although I don't think that rationalizing one's violation of the law by "only" stealing from dead people is the correct way to go about it, there is still the larger point of how the recording and movie industries have corrupted the system by getting Congress to extend copyright protection to the absurd length it is today.

There's a world of difference, both practically and in real terms, between intellectual and tangible property.

9. Lethn

Lethn

I think whoever commented this on the article put it best lmao.

Sweden tried to make laws stricter, all that happened was that the pirates encrypted so they couldn't find anything out.

If they go ahead with this plan to scan our hard drives etc. then all that's going to happen is people will abandon the ISPs that force them to. Private torrent sites more than likely will simply re-name themselves so they can't be identified and then because of the passwords no outside will be able to come in and try to find out who they are.

Forget the Chinese, forget the protesters, forget the radical politicians that the establishment call 'crazy'. It is the internet pirates who are going to completely slaughter corporate imperialism and they're all too witless to see it.

#10     Apr 16, 2010