RIAA suing file swappers

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Trend Fader, Sep 9, 2003.

1. I don't know about that. Apparently, the Allman Brothers were hurting so bad they had to get guys up on stage to play with them for free.

#11     Sep 9, 2003
  2. http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/32731.html

#12     Sep 9, 2003
  3. #13     Sep 9, 2003
  4. I think they've gone too far:

#14     Sep 9, 2003
  5. Yeah, the "drugs support terror" campaign was hilarious...until they realized that SUV's support terror about 1000fold more and pulled the plug...

#15     Sep 9, 2003
  6. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,96890,00.html

ridiculous. taking $2000 from a 12-yr old honors girl who's so poor she lives in the projects.

I'm personally not going to buy another music cdrom for another 5 years. hey come to think of it, it's been about 5 years since I bought the last one.

agree re above, going to see artists' concerts, is the best way to directly support the artists ..

boycotting the riaa here :p

#16     Sep 9, 2003
  7. #17     Sep 9, 2003
  8. Legally it's not right to file share, but this is like prohibition: they're fighting a losing battle. $15-18 for a CD is ridiculous and 99.9% of the population feels the same way.

They need to offer download services and sell singles for a quarter and bypass the label execs. Good songs will get 10 million downloads and the band will make a half million plus per song. And noone will file share cuzz it'll be easier to go to the site and just pay the quarter to get the selection and the latest and greatest.

It'll take a decade, but "I have a dream..."

#18     Sep 9, 2003
  9. Please, two bucks for a gallon of gas is bullshit too and 99.9% of the population feels the same way. Let's just steal from the gas stations; it's the same thing as downloading.

#19     Sep 9, 2003
  10. I'm not advocating stealing. But something can be legal and be unfair and the music industry is an example. Capitalism is a great system, but this is a case of the executives lagging their own culture. Isn't it a little odd that virtually every industry has been revolutionized by the net and IT except the music industry? It's because they're living in the vinyl era.

It's time for them to give Joe Consumer what he wants: cheap, easily purchasable singles. I'm just agreeing with whoever said above that their business model is flawed. Their business model is not going to work long term or even medium term. I'm a teetotaler, but I still recognize that Prohibition wasn't going to work. You can't just pretend that 50 million people are going to stop drinking instantly...

#20     Sep 10, 2003