Reviews for Avatar is eroding like an option

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by noob_trad3r, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Oh yes, if only tacitly.

"Theres a crack in everything, thats how the light gets in"
    Leonard Cohen

#31     Dec 28, 2009
  2. If you're looking for something new in every movie, you will surely be disappointed every time.

I had an uncle, who'd say, with great frequency ,when I told him of a new movie's storyline, "I saw it, 20 years ago".

He was probably right.

[​IMG]

#32     Dec 28, 2009
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

For the OP: Hollywood doesn't care about reviews as long as the money is profitable:

"Avatar continued to storm weekend box office, generating another $75.6 million over the weekend, according to Hollywood.Com Box - Office on Monday.

With the new earning, the James Cameron-directed 3-D sci-fi love story, has boosted its two-week domestic take to $212.7 million."

It is already in the green, doesn't matter if its cost was 400 million:

"its worldwide gross is $623.6 million as of today"

#33     Dec 29, 2009
  4. a shame they all rely now on "action" and computer generated "special effects" rather than great acting and clever plot. splice fast action scenes with odd closeup and camera angles you have a hit. a real shame :(

ps haven't seen this nor shall i

#34     Dec 29, 2009
  5. I haven't watch the film yet, but I know that James Cameron is a genius!

With piracy going on all over the world, he knows in order to make real money is to go 3D.

As piracy continue and as the 3D technology lag at home, we will continue to see crappy movies with awesome 3D graphics being made.

#35     Dec 29, 2009
  6. 3d has little to do with it.

Maybe this one time, but I would not go to another 3d movie JUST for that again.

SmellOVision maybe.

#36     Dec 29, 2009
  7. bronks

bronks

I saw it. I enjoyed it. I will go again to see what the hype is on 3-D.

That being said, it's "Fern Gully" on steroids... which is not a bad thing.

#37     Dec 29, 2009
  8. What's your opinion of Le Notti Di Cabiria.

#38     Dec 29, 2009
  9. One trick to avoid a letdown for a big event sci-fi movie is to avoid watching the previews. For Transformers2, I totally avoided watching the previews before I saw the movie. It didn't help because TF2 just wasn't entertaining to me.

For Avatar, though, it worked. Not knowing the full details of the plot, and not having seen much of the special effects, I was blown away by the movie. This is true even for the predictable parts.

#39     Dec 29, 2009
  10. The most impressive special effect was getting me to part with green, even if it was an xmas treat for friends. Deserves an Oscar for that alone.

#40     Dec 29, 2009