Reviewing your trades

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bau250, May 16, 2013.

1. bau250

bau250

At the end of your trading session/day, what are some of your review methods when looking over past trades? What are some of the things you take note of or write in your journal?

2. Look at the trades I entered, and why (what I expected could happen), then review how well the market outcome tracked my expectations and trading positions. See where I went wrong or could have done better, how to adjust my processed the next time. I do the same with opportunities I missed, or moves that I have not seen the like of before.

3. I review using a form.

In order of importance, I compare the following:

1. the type of turn and the specific end effect. They must be a possible match from my master list. I do not tolerate any exceptions.

2. the number of bars between consecutive events. I circle the longer values and recheck EVERY annotation and log entry. I am looking for possible rule violations that reveal "ommissions" of the E & O sort.

3. I check that all event bars have a lock in before the end of the bar. If not the bar must be a less than three part bar in price. No exceptions.

4. I look for check marks in my review fixed column. If I put in a check I was noting I am using a "fix" that is part of the rule set. I look to see where I did NOT check to see irf the chart has a "red" note there. All notes in red are to note rare occurrances that may need some drilling to assure my inference is up to speed (10 to 100 millisecond recognition elapsed time.)

5. I look at at my net totals compared to reversal frequency. They must fit into a specific hi/lo range.

This takes two pages of data and takes 20 to 30 minutes.

From this I type my open entry for the next day on my chart (I do not want to think of anything before open other than housekeeping chores).

4. I know whether or not I made a good trade immediately. I know if I missed the right entry or I got out too soon or too late. What's writing it down at the end of the day going to do for me? I guess it could be punishment.

5. bau250

bau250

Me too, but I find it helps me to really ingrain it into my awareness by writing it down - not just making mental notes.

Since I've been keeping track with a journal/reviewing, it really has brought my trading to the next level.

It's all about self improvement.

6. Redneck

Redneck

Because it is all too easy to remember things incorrectly…. convince yourself of something that isn’t fact/ didn't happen…

OR

Simply lie to/ bullshit yourself….

Not to mention you have an archive to reference later on to gauge your progress.... identify market, and/ or your - behavior patterns

Insightful

btw;

Don’t mind me, I’m just being a prick…

Fact is;

It’s your PnL – and your trading…. do with them as you see fit – always

RN

7. Redneck

Redneck

Chart of the day… and a journal

Search online and you’ll find examples…

I hesitate giving you specifics of what goes in the journal because it really needs to be what you deem important

Potentially it could become the most insightful view – into you – you will ever have

You can also record your trading session (camtasia or other)…. for viewing eod/ over the weekend

GOC has some good suggestions

RN

8. vldn

vldn

I "screen capture" my chart
    - after I place my limit order
    - after the order is filled and my SL+TP is set
    - when I move SL or TP
    - after SL or TP is filled
    - and then again later to let me know how it goes further

The next day before trading I go through my trades (captured pictures) from yesterday. On the weekend I do the same with the whole week of trades.

I use FastStone Capture for capturing active window (=chart) to file...just by pressing F9 button. I realized that PNG file format is better than JPG for capturing charts.

9. deaddog

deaddog

I grade the trade by how well I followed my trading plan.

If I didn’t follow the plan to perfection I make note of what thoughts or emotions were running through my head that influenced my decision to deviate from the plan.

I try to find out why I change a supposedly well thought out course of action in midstream. Mostly it boils down to Fear & Greed. Just being aware of how I react helps a little.