Reversion to the mean only trading...

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by MarkBrown, Nov 16, 2020.

1. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

thoroughly look over the multicharts website they have two versions of mc i think the .net version is what you would want. they hook into many brokerages so you can flip on auto trade they have their own dom built in that interfaces with your clearing firm. contact them for questions they are super helpful.

#31     Nov 17, 2020
  2. Wow didn't realize it would cost $800/year.

#32     Nov 17, 2020
  3. Hello MarkBrown,

Thank you so much for sharing.

I love the risk $200 to make $100 statement. I have actually been trying this in my trading and made some money finally.

I was able to pass the TopStepTrader recently and finally get funded in 18 days after Keeping my Risk bigger than Reward. Yes, that is right, Risk bigger than reward. 94% win rate too. I had one losing day. I can only speak for myself when I say this, but I am sick and tired of waiting for big winners. the whole "let your winners run" story was not working for me and cause me too much headache watching the money go away waiting on big winners. Bills are due on the first of the month and feels good to see some money every week.

upload_2020-11-17_12-37-35.png

upload_2020-11-17_12-43-40.png

#33     Nov 17, 2020
  4. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

i am truly very happy for you, you have worked really hard and honestly to get where your at. i know you just had to find your edge, and often we do that by getting small tips here and there to put together a trading method that suits you. making money trading is not following the crowd and their ideas, you have to think outside the box.

again congratulations and all the best.

#34     Nov 17, 2020
    yc47ib, _terminus_, volpri and 2 others like this.
  5. MarkBrown,

Yes, this part is right.

If always have fixed profit target and stop loss, easier to scale up mentally and logically. If try to scale up waiting on big reward winners and small losers, too many losses and give the headache. Also after a bunch of losers the brain will eventually say over and over again "man, are you sure what you are doing will work, maybe the setup is flawed, you now have 5 losses in a roll waiting on big winner" And do not forget, you have to manage that big winner. Manage meanings there is XX,XXX ways to manage the big the winner. Which one will you pick. And noone has time to manual back test XX,XXX ways. And lets not forget, "the bills are due on the first of the month". you waiting around for big winner, and take many losses.

#35     Nov 17, 2020
    MarkBrown likes this.
  6. Thank you MarkBrown,

I remember you gave me really great advice awhile back , to get rid of minute time frame and go to range bars. So I take this into consideration as well and I am trying that now too. minute bar take too long and you miss the move. ES lately give really big bars, risk too much money, range bars is much better. Range bars is much mathematically logically for the brain when it comes to price action as well. You can see the price very well with range bars and controlled steady risk, do not have to think per trade "wow this will be a really big risk with this minutes bar". Minutes bar gives too big of risk and little reward, too much waiting. Now I do not care about volatility cause only look at the price.

So range bars is good. Thanks,

#36     Nov 17, 2020
    MarkBrown likes this.
  7. Based on the comments I’m seeing, there are some on this thread, but not you, who need even more hints. Ok, just one more, although it will be more than a bit obscure for those who cannot think for themselves: Compare the summed ATRs of various time frames with a longer time frame.

That’s all I have to say about that.

#37     Nov 17, 2020
    MarkBrown likes this.
  8. QTrader20

QTrader20

This is what most wanna be traders don't get it. You got to go the extra miles to build your own system or methods before you can make money for yourself. Once you spend enough time to refine your system, making money isn't as hard as what most believe in.

Good job.

#38     Nov 17, 2020
    They, SimpleMeLike and MarkBrown like this.
  9. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

man you're hot! i started out with ATR that is what the channels were originally made from. then i switched to just range because the range bars can't take advantage of ATR anyway. so the channels using range only are close to 1 point for the small channel and close to 4 points for the larger trend channel. and these numbers will work well for anyone following this style of trading.

extensive testing has shown me that es will trade typically abound 3.75 points up and down waves.

optimal risk reward seems best at about 87.50 profit and 250 risk but i settled on 100 profit and 200 risk, i get more losers but i make more money and i'm very use to losing, if i can make more money.

and that's about all i have to say fer now lol...

thank you for your comments

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    #39     Nov 17, 2020
  10. steve2222

steve2222

Hi Mark,

So many questions and so little time to write them:D.

First off, back in the first or 2nd post you said the strategy had a 57% win rate and a reward to risk ratio of 1:2.

But that calculates to a negative expectancy so how is it making money? (1 x 0.57) - (2 x 0.43) = - 0.29 expectancy per trade.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    #40     Nov 17, 2020
    farmerjohn1324 likes this.