Reverse Ratio Calendar Spreads?

Discussion in 'Options' started by darp, Apr 30, 2006.

1. cnms2

cnms2

2. darp

darp

Thanks cnms2,

I use hoadley, but his goes to 5 legs, never seen a 20 leg

#12     May 10, 2006
  3. Can you point me to where TOS says this?

#13     Jun 11, 2006
  4. darp

darp

Likely on their site thinkorswim.com I heard from them in their free class by instructor "Don"

#14     Jun 12, 2006
  5. I don't think they literally put it in writing...after all that could be construed as a "written guarantee":) Don Kaufman and others just reference what some of their clients do and what is a good probability of accomplishing with your option trading allocation. NOT your total portfolio.

#15     Jun 12, 2006
  6. darp

darp

The one person I know that uses it for his entire acct did do 20% in 2005 with it, and he running 6 figure acct. I do not use it. Am tending towards cal spreds under ratio like 5x4(puts).

#16     Jun 13, 2006
  7. jdi

jdi

Isn't reverse calendar = long front, short back, long gamma, short vega?

#17     Jun 20, 2006
  8. darp

darp

The name is one a came up with, and yes can conflict with others. A normal ratio spread is like buying 10 and selling 15. In this case it more like buy 10 (either puts calls or stradle) and sell 8. Thus if it sits still you make less, but make money.

If it goes wild, then instead of losing money you would make money as gaining on 10 and losing on 8. That is the idea was floating. Have not seen it suggested before. Have you heard of it? Maybe there is a name to it.

#18     Jun 21, 2006
  9. jj90

jj90

??? That is what the topic of the thread is.

#19     Jun 21, 2006
  10. jdi

jdi

Ok. Maybe what u mean is that u r reversing the ratio instead of reversing the calendar. If this is the case, i guess this is a simple ratio calendar spread. The ratio can be 1:1, 1:2, 2:1 etc. The name is not important as along as u know the pay off profile & the greeks.

#20     Jun 21, 2006