Reverse Psychology/Trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by romik, Mar 2, 2006.

1. bitrend

bitrend

You know I have exactly the same idea about this issue. If you are a Broker, chances are it will make easier for you to find him. Just tracking secretly your clients activities.

Fortunately, you can try with me. You give me some money to start then you secretly monitor my trades and do exactly the opposite of mine. Does it sound good? When can we start?
    :)

#11     Mar 2, 2006
  2. I retract my previous statement.

Maybe there really are people like Bernie Lootz (The Cooler - William H. Macy)

#12     Mar 2, 2006
  3. romik

romik

Shit, I didn't take that into consideration. Even so, if they are consistent at what they do, they have no chance coming out on top, though reversing their trades, even same size trades, theoretically should put you in profit.

Say Dick has $5k and that's all he has, he then starts off with making 3 trades per day risking 10% of his total. After 2 weeks he is down 50% and decides to recoup his losses risking the remainder ($2500) on one trade and let's assume he is out this time 100%. Now for him the game is over, but what about the one fading losing trader's positions, what if he only dedicated 5% of his capital to that "experiment"?

Also, the loser could be using simulated account, no real money required.

#13     Mar 2, 2006
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  4. romik

romik

Has anyone attempted calculating the probability ratio between win vs loss where positions are opened on random basis, without any indicators or knowledge of a market using fixed capital allocation and stops on every trade? Would it be near 50/50 or totally not?

#14     Mar 3, 2006
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.

5. I follow the market "sediment", myself.:D
    Never fails.....:D

#15     Mar 3, 2006
  6. If you run money for others or know others who do and have clients that are calling to complain about not being fully invested, sell the market short.

#16     Mar 3, 2006
  7. I know two guys in Seattle doing this very successfully.

The basic of their setup is this...

One guy (trader A) is a consistent losing trader with real money (lost about 62k trading futures in a few years) via some particular method he got from a book about position trading.

His buddy (trader B) a breakeven trader at the time...convinced him to stop trading with real money and to switch to simulator trading and to continue using the same losing method.

Trader B than enters and exits trades that are the complete opposite of Trader A positions almost at the exact same time.

Trader B is trading with real money (almost 3x the size) and Trader A is trading that same losing method on a simulator.

They use the same broker (execution platform) and trade side by side in Trader A home office.

Accordingly to them they are very profitable with this type of reverse trading style.

I'll be visiting the Seattle area this summer (camping trip) and will watch them do this in person towards the end of my vacation because I'm curious to see this type of reverse trading relationship.

Maybe this can be automated ??? :D:D

However, trying to do such by oneself via fading your own trade decisions...I don't think is possible.

Mark
    (a.k.a. NihabaAshi) Japanese Candlestick term

#17     Mar 3, 2006
  8. Atlantic

Atlantic

this is an absolutely fascinating story - but how long can it work? i mean - trader A - how long will he be able to keep up his "performance" - when will he start to learn and stop doing the "right" thing?

just curious...

#18     Mar 3, 2006
  9. romik

romik

come on brains, let's go, any mathematicians around or what?

#19     Mar 3, 2006
    Buy1Sell2 likes this.
  10. Van k Tharp discusses this topic in "trade your way to financial freedom". Great book..pick it up. It will change the way you look at accepting risk.

#20     Mar 3, 2006