Reverse engineering why indicators don't work

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by IronFist, Nov 27, 2017.

1. ALL INDICATORS ARE NOT CREATED EQUALLY.

It isn't that indicators do not work, it is traders do not apply them correctly.

Indicators should be time frame independent because price is the same on all time frames. Switching time frames does not change the price of the instrument.

Finally, traders must select the proper indicator(s) for the instrument(s) they are trading OR... select the proper instrument(s) for the indicator(s) they are using. Don't trade like a baby with a hammer and see everything as a nail.

There is no "magic" number. So using MA28 or MA5, doesn't really matter.

My video explains. Enjoy!

#71     Dec 2, 2017
  2. maxpi

maxpi

I don't see much proof that the big money is the smart money. Lots of funds simply don't beat the indexes. Women live longer than men and wind up with the wealth. Big money succeeds by marketing to get a lot of older women to invest and taking fees from their accounts.

#72     Dec 2, 2017
    Van_der_Voort_4 and comagnum like this.
  3. Big money is not the same as smart money.

Love your story. Thanks for sharing.

#73     Dec 2, 2017
  4. Canoe007

Canoe007

Correct. IMHO indicators predict nothing - on their own. (Some intriguingly look like they would have worked when they were developed, only to have been eclipsed by modern rapid/HFT machine trading with books with orders never intended to trade).

Following is exactly what I do. A collection of indicators (some modified, some custom) is the base of the math that I use to identify the various components/filters/conditions that comprise a "setup", whereby both backtesting & performance has determined that "under this setup" the probability of the trend continuing is high.

Identifying setups where the probability of the trend continuing is high, is the only "edge" I've been able to develop.

#74     Dec 2, 2017
  5. Canoe007

Canoe007

Did you just describe 95% of Retail Traders' trading systems?

#75     Dec 2, 2017
  6. 99.95%

#76     Dec 2, 2017
  7. Without the need for speed, I’d have zero desire to implement algos. All my calculations are done real-time on portfolios

#77     Dec 2, 2017