Reverse engineering stockcharts candlesticks

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Kris, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Kris

Kris

I'm curious if anyone has reverse engineered the code stockcharts.com uses for candlesticks on their site? When I uses stockcharts predefined scans for something like "bullish engulfing" I get a different (smaller usually) list then what I get from my own code...

2. Kris

Kris

I would pay a few bucks if someone manages to reverse engineer the candlesticks

3. d08

d08

I wouldn't do it for $2 but can you give examples what matches with you and not with SC.com?

4. Kris

Kris

Sure. Try a basic bearish engulfing candlestick. Might look something like this:

[exchange is NYSE]
    and [group is not ETF]

and [today's open > today's EMA(10, close)]
    and [yesterday's close > yesterday's open]
    and [today's high > yesterday's close]
    and [today's close < today's open]
    and [today's open > yesterday's close]
    and [today's close < yesterday's open]

Now compare that to the predefined scan on stockcharts for bearish engulfing (on NYSE). They have some additional rules I'm missing which return less results...

Let me know how you do

5. [today's open > yesterday's close] implies [today's high > yesterday's close] therefore [today's high > yesterday's close] is useless.

6. Glitch

Glitch

I think you are missing the rule that the first candle should have a "small body". Per StochCharts.com: "The first day is characterized by a small body, followed by a day whose body completely engulfs the previous day's body and closes in the opposite direction of the trend."

Here's how I defined it in my Candlestick Genetic Evolver, and based on some quick analysis runs it seems to have questionable value :)

[​IMG]

nooby_mcnoob and WealthSignals like this.
  7. Kris

Kris

Good suggestion, but if we add the generic instruction

and [yesterday short Body is true]

it reduces our scan results to 3 tickers, whereas stockcharts predefined scan returns 12 (from Friday - NYSE)

8. Kris

Kris

This is a useful and obvious command I missed which gets us closer to the predefined scan

and [Daily SMA(20,Daily Volume) > 40000]

still not there yet though...

9. Kris

Kris

I've still got BURL, MSM, and WMT showing up in my Bearish Engulfing scan for Friday Nov 8 2019, but these tickers do not show up on stockcharts predefined scan.

Can anyone tell what might disqualify these as bearish engulfing?